Guidance sought by lapsed Hugo user

Hello,
I learnt to my horror that I haven’t updated my Hugo site in 5 or 6 years, and I want to get going again. Since then, I’ve lost access to my old machine and HDD, but now have a new Mac Mini M1, and I did keep my Hugo site in a Github repo. The problem is that I just cannot remember how to edit my site, how to sync it with Github, or pretty much anything really. My excuse is that I am no spring chicken and all of my available mental bandwidth has been taken up with music production using Logic Pro, followed by Ableton Live and, for the last four years, Bitwig Studio!

I last updated the site to use Hugo 0.36…

I’m conversant with command-line macOS, Git, Github and Go, so I don’t think it will take much to refresh me. Just a few one line pointers should do the trick.

Before anyone tells me off and suggests that I RTFM, I’m attempting to do just that via Get Started | Hugo :wink:

Unless you really need to use any of the current features, you can still use the version 0.36 of Hugo because your site might throw errors that you might not have the knowledge to fix (see installation instructions). In the meantime, editing files is through a code editor (like VS Code) or a CMS (that you need to configure). VS code can handle the syncing part if you authorize it to access your git repo.

@carlcaulkett Updating the site will surely break it since many features have been removed ( like .URL is no longer used ).

If you are willing, I can upgrade your website. I am freelance Hugo developer with 7+ years of experience. You might want to update some features or design / layout of the website.

Let us connect to discuss more about the project. You can connect here or DM me.

Please feel free to ask any questions.
I look forward to your response.

Thank you
Akash Kumar Sharma
Delhi, Bharat

Thanks Akash! This is more of a hobby/learning exercise so I’m quite happy to read through the guides and manuals to refresh my knowledge.

I installed the latest version of Hugo and have been following the Get Started | Hugo guide which has been very helpful! I’m using Jetbrains new editor Fleet and a neat addon to macOS Quicklook called QLMarkdown GitHub - sbarex/QLMarkdown: macOS Quick Look extension for Markdown files. and Jetbrains Fleet JetBrains Fleet: The Next-Generation IDE by JetBrains which, between them, makes handling the Markdown a breeze!

I had to install a new Hugo theme, since the old one contained a broken reference to Google News, and I figured it was time for a change. It’s all coming back to me, which I think is largely a testament to how ridiculously easy Hugo makes this :heart_eyes:

3 Likes