Fast, keyboard-optimized search for Hugo

Hi All —

I forked some of the work of Eddie Webb and Matthew Daly’s search explorations to build a fuse.js-based, keyboard-first, super-quick, light-as-possible client-side search for Hugo.

To see it in action, go to craigmod.com and press CMD-/ and start typing.

Fast Search

I believe Fast Software is the Best Software and built this with that in mind. This method was highly inspired by Sublime Text’s CMD-P/CMD-shift-P method of opening files / using functions.

The core precepts of this exploration were:

• Minimal / zero external dependencies (no jQuery)
  • Smallest possible size added to each page
  • json index only delivered when needed (further minimizing overall impact on page speed / user experience)
  • Keyboard friendly, instant navigation (ala Alfred / macOS Spotlight)

As Eddie Webb points out, this method has the additional benefits of:

• No NPM, grunt, etc
  • No additional build time steps, just hugo as you would normally
  • Easy to swap out choice of client side search tools, anything that can use a json index

I put up a gist with all the bits and pieces. I an by no means a javascript expert, so please, clean up as you see fit:

Hope you find this as useful as I do.

Thanks to everyone for the great software and community.

C

12 Likes

Very nice, but I had problems to use it. Firefox on Windows does not support the event.metaKey and if you are not on a US keyboard the slash is not on event.which 191. It’s better to use event.key or event.code. This would make your code and website more universal.

2 Likes

Wonderful, please fork the gist and make any changes you think would increase compatibility.

What’s the license?

1 Like

Just added an MIT license, which I think is the most permissive? I.e., use at will in whatever way desired.

1 Like

Love your design philosophy. How do I make your website search work on my ipad?

1 Like

I tried fuse.js for search, but it bogs down once you have thousands of pages and a 1.7MB compressed index file. I ended up switching to FlexSearch.js. Search page is here, you can see the glue code uncompressed here.

3 Likes

I haven’t tested it but assume (?!) Safari on iPad triggers keyboard similarly to desktop? As for touch-only, you could add a “search button” to the top menu triggering this loop when focus is activated by touch:

if (event.metaKey && event.which === 191) {
      // Load json search index if first time invoking search
      // Means we don't load json unless searches are going to happen; keep user payload small unless needed
      if(firstRun) {
        loadSearch(); // loads our json data and builds fuse.js search index
        firstRun = false; // let's never do this again
      }

// Toggle visibility of search box
      if (!searchVisible) {
        document.getElementById("fastSearch").style.visibility = "visible"; // show search box
        document.getElementById("searchInput").focus(); // put focus in input box so you can just start typing
        searchVisible = true; // search visible
      }
      else {
        document.getElementById("fastSearch").style.visibility = "hidden"; // hide search box
        document.activeElement.blur(); // remove focus from search box 
        searchVisible = false; // search not visible
      }
  }

Very cool.

If I add fulltext to my index it also balloons up to a couple MB. More than Fuse performance, I was concerned about speed of payload delivery. In the end, Titles + meta-desc + first-paragraph seems to get me 99% of the way towards extracting full-utility but at 1/10 the payload size.

FlexSearch looks brilliant though.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.