Execute of page failed

I’m still quite new to using Hugo and Academic and need some hand holding.

I’ve been working on updating my website. Several issues are emerging and I have no idea how to interpret the error messages.

ERROR 2019/01/02 23:31:20 render of "page" failed: "/Users/chriscastille/Documents/GitHub/website/themes/hugo-academic/layouts/publication/single.html:34:12": execute of template failed: template: publication/single.html:82:15: executing "publication/single.html" at <partial "publication...>: error calling partial: "/Users/chriscastille/Documents/GitHub/website/themes/hugo-academic/layouts/partials/publication_links.html:34:12": execute of template failed: template: partials/publication_links.html:34:12: executing "partials/publication_links.html" at <$.Site.GetPage>: error calling GetPage: too many arguments to .Site.GetPage: [page project personality-and-individual-differences]. Use lookups on the form {{ .Site.GetPage "/posts/mypage-md" }}
ERROR 2019/01/02 23:31:20 render of "section" failed: "/Users/chriscastille/Documents/GitHub/website/themes/hugo-academic/layouts/section/publication.html:34:12": execute of template failed: template: section/publication.html:59:15: executing "section/publication.html" at <partial "publication...>: error calling partial: execute of template failed: template: partials/publication_li_apa.html:15:8: executing "partials/publication_li_apa.html" at <partial "publication...>: error calling partial: "/Users/chriscastille/Documents/GitHub/website/themes/hugo-academic/layouts/partials/publication_links.html:34:12": execute of template failed: template: partials/publication_links.html:34:12: executing "partials/publication_links.html" at <$.Site.GetPage>: error calling GetPage: too many arguments to .Site.GetPage: [page project personality-and-individual-differences]. Use lookups on the form {{ .Site.GetPage "/posts/mypage-md" }}
ERROR 2019/01/02 23:31:20 render of "page" failed: "/Users/chriscastille/Documents/GitHub/website/themes/hugo-academic/layouts/project/single.html:6:52": execute of template failed: template: project/single.html:26:7: executing "project/single.html" at <partial "tags.html" ...>: error calling partial: "/Users/chriscastille/Documents/GitHub/website/themes/hugo-academic/layouts/partials/tags.html:6:52": execute of template failed: template: partials/tags.html:6:52: executing "partials/tags.html" at <$.Site.GetPage>: error calling GetPage: too many arguments to .Site.GetPage: [taxonomyTerm tags bright-and-dark-personality]. Use lookups on the form {{ .Site.GetPage "/posts/mypage-md" }}
ERROR 2019/01/02 23:31:20 render of "page" failed: "/Users/chriscastille/Documents/GitHub/website/themes/hugo-academic/layouts/project/single.html:6:52": execute of template failed: template: project/single.html:26:7: executing "project/single.html" at <partial "tags.html" ...>: error calling partial: "/Users/chriscastille/Documents/GitHub/website/themes/hugo-academic/layouts/partials/tags.html:6:52": execute of template failed: template: partials/tags.html:6:52: executing "partials/tags.html" at <$.Site.GetPage>: error calling GetPage: too many arguments to .Site.GetPage: [taxonomyTerm tags open-science]. Use lookups on the form {{ .Site.GetPage "/posts/mypage-md" }}

Any guidance would be appreciated. I previously posted to the GitHub repo (https://github.com/gcushen/hugo-academic/issues/863#issuecomment-451437665) and was instructed to post to a forum and ask for assistance.

I also recently updated to the most recent version of Hugo and Academic. My repo can be found here: https://github.com/chriscastille6/website

Thanks in advance for your help!

The link to your repo throws a 404.

It is a bit interesting that the theme author referred you to the Hugo Forum as we do not have the manpower to debug individual Hugo Themes here.

It just happens that I am one of the maintainers of the Hugo Themes repository and incidentally I recently opened a GitHub issue about themes that don’t work with Hugo 0.53 (that is the latest version) and the Academic Theme is on my list.

We do expect theme authors to update their themes accordingly with the latest working version of Hugo.

I am afraid that it does not work the other way around and comments to the contrary are counter productive.

So if you really need to use this theme then you have to use the last supported Hugo version that the theme author recommends.

Thank you.

cc: @bep @digitalcraftsman

We do expect theme authors to update their themes accordingly with the latest working version of Hugo.

I appreciate the work you do on the Themes Site and understand that it’s easy to assume that if a theme fails to build, then it’s likely an issue with the theme, but that is not so in this case. The reason that the demo of the Academic theme on the Themes Site failed to build recently is due to an upstream bug in Hugo and Go TOML. However, as you have since noticed in Themes with no demo generated · Issue #531 · gohugoio/hugoThemes · GitHub, we added a workaround to the example site on 28th December in an attempt to prevent the demo going offline. It’s great to see that you and DigitalCraftsMan have now successfully built the latest Academic to get the demo back online again.

The TOML line break bug appears unrelated to the error which @chriscastille6 reported above. What @chriscastille6 has reported may be based on the fact that Hugo devs made breaking changes to the GetPage implementation in recent versions. Hence, only recent versions of Academic are compatible with recent versions of Hugo. I have previously suggested introducing something along the lines of a max_version parameter in theme.toml to prevent theme compatibility issues caused by Hugo devs making breaking changes to Hugo, such as with GetPage.

As you stated, the user’s website repo link currently gives a 404 error, so currently it’s difficult for any one to help debug this. @chriscastille6 the error you reported should not be possible with the latest version of Academic (recent versions of Academic support the breaking changes which were made to Hugo’s GetPage). You may wish to check that you are definitely using the latest version and also that you are not overriding any of the theme’s files with your own customizations from older versions.

It is a bit interesting that the theme author referred you to the Hugo Forum as we do not have the manpower to debug individual Hugo Themes here.

@alexandros remember that this site is a place to unite Hugo users - a supportive community for users to help each other and discuss related topics. The user is certainly not demanding that you personally solve the issue that they are experiencing with their Hugo setup.

I am afraid that it does not work the other way around and comments to the contrary are counter productive.

Your comment was unnecessary and a step too far. You might be one of the maintainers of the Hugo Themes repository, but this is no place for you to come along and break up the Hugo community, telling users not to post Hugo related questions on the Hugo discourse forum! I appreciate the work you do, but hope you can learn to be more welcoming and help us to unite and grow the community on here further rather than tear it apart.

Thanks for the help!

I just made the repo public, so you should be able to access it now:

Let me know if you cannot access it.

How do I check which version of Academic I’m currently using?

Assuming you have it added as a git submodule, from the root of your site, run:

git submodule foreach status

This will print the current commit hash of the theme.

That is most definitely not what I meant above.

Anyway this is not kindergarden and I have all together stopped assisting users in this forum.

But I do know one thing @neutreno theme problems are usually not solved here. This is a place for Hugo Support not themes’ support as far I know.

Other than that I’m sorry with your interpretation.

I’m a busy person and I do not have the time for any of this.

@chriscastille6: Your repo link confirms that you are using a very old version of Academic which runs on Hugo 0.30. Therefore, either use Hugo v0.30 to build it, or update Academic to the latest version and build it with Hugo v0.50+.

It also appears that you are using Blogdown which is an R wrapper around Hugo and complicates the update process slightly. You are likely to find better support for managing versions of Hugo and Hugo Themes via Blogdown in the Blogdown/RStudio community.