Docs translation project for Japanese

Hello, Hugo community!

I’d like to translate this documentation into Japanese.

This doc is good.
But, Japanese users need the Japanese version as far as I know.
So, I will start to translate it into Japanese.

If there is the Japanese version of Hugo doc, Hugo will get more Japanese users :+1:

My plans & done

1. I created an organization Hugo Japan
  2. I cloned gohugoio/hugoDocs as hugojapan/hugoDocs
  3. I will add the Japanese version to the repo and host on Netlify.
    • I will get .org domain for this organization.

Questions

• Q1: Is this a good way? Any other the best way for this project?
  • Q2: Can I use the gopher as an organization’s avatar.

He @peaceiris and thanks for you interest in Hugo.

In my opinion, every translated version of the Hugo documentation should be hosted on gohugo.io (or: the same host). We added multilanguage support in Hugo for a reason. We should use it. This is important.

Now, this has proven to be hard to do in practice, but we should really, really try to get there. My problem is that I cannot merge languages I don’t understand. @anthonyfok is the editor of the Chinese translation, but he’s busy, so that is a bottleneck …

I want us to come up with a better way of doing this. Maybe the Japanese content can live in its own Git repo and we pull it in as a submodule? That way we say that we “trust it by default”, and if we get reports telling us that we should not, we remove it. Then the communities for the different languages can be their own editors.

@RickCogley

3 Likes

Hi, @bep
Thank you very much for your reply.

In my opinion, every translated version of the Hugo documentation should be hosted on gohugo.io (or: the same host). We added multilanguage support in Hugo for a reason. We should use it. This is important.

I think so!
I hope that the Japanese version is also hosted on gohugo.io

Now, this has proven to be hard to do in practice, but we should really, really try to get there. My problem is that I cannot merge languages I don’t understand. @anthonyfok is the editor of the Chinese translation, but he’s busy, so that is a bottleneck …

This is a common problem for OSS projects. To solve it, we have to gather many contributors to share tasks and improve precision of translation. I think that the number of contributors will increase as the Japanese translation project starts. Of course, I will try gather contributors.

I want us to come up with a better way of doing this. Maybe the Japanese content can live in its own Git repo and we pull it in as a submodule? That way we say that we “trust it by default”, and if we get reports telling us that we should not, we remove it. Then the communities for the different languages can be their own editors.

Submodule! It is good idea!
In this case, should Japanese community manage only content/ja as a repo?

That was my thought, yes. This repo could live in the gohugoio organization, but it would solve the biggest practical problem in that I wouldn’t have to give commit access to the main hugoDocs repo to a lot of people that I don’t know. This way “you” could edit/translate as you please, and we could merge when suitable.

There are probably some practical issues with the workflow above, but they should be solvable.

1 Like

That’s Good! @bep

(1)

In fact, each translation project need to manage:

• config.toml
  • content/ja or zh

Maybe there are other contents that should be localized besides the above two. So, each translation project has to commit to gohugoio/hugoDocs for these contents.

(2)

I created https://github.com/hugojapan/ja

Is it ok?

Hi @bep

I set up the project and started to translate Hugo docs. I will welcome more contributors. (I announced at Twitter and Blog)

I have one question.
When should be Japanese docs released at gohugo.io ?
(right now? 50% translated or 90%?)

Cool that you’re working on a Japanese translation of Hugo! :+1:

But I don’t think it’s a good idea for user experience and SEO to host a duplicate website on another domain than gohugo.io.

Thanks.

As far as I know Hugo doesn’t version their documentation so unless there’s a process set-up for crowdsourcing, it might be difficult to keep the docs up to date in Japanese and have them match the current docs over time.

I think so. Now, we can translate only the latest version of Hugo. In the future, official documents should have version.

In this case, https://kubernetes.io/ is useful for us. It has multi languages and versions. (It is managed by Hugo)

Thanks.

How about ja.gohugo.io ?