Disabling RSS for sections

This is really simple, and somewhat obvious, but because I couldn’t find a singular, explicit answer to the question of: “How do you disable RSS for sections?” I figured I’d share this snippet.

In your config.toml add:

[outputs]
  home     = ["HTML", "RSS"]
  section  = ["HTML"]

This will keep the root RSS (index.xml) for the whole site, but will disable it on a section by section basis. So you don’t end up with index.xml files in all the main section subdirectories.

This is taken from the Custom Outputs doc, which is a wee bit confusing.

Tangentially: What’s the best way to submit edits for documentation? Pull requests on the repo?

3 Likes

Create a PR here:

(you can even edit the content files directly on GitHub)

I wasn’t aware we had rss feeds per section, thank you for this. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I realize this thread is rather old, but I’d like to get more into the details on how RSS feed configurations work.

This will keep the root RSS (index.xml) for the whole site, but will disable it on a section by section basis. So you don’t end up with index.xml files in all the main section subdirectories.

So to clarify - a ‘sub-feed’ .xml file won’t be generated in those directories, but the root index.xml will still include RSS data for the contents in those sections?

And following that train of thought - if I want to exclude certain content (e.g. static pages like ‘about’) from the generated RSS feeds, is there a way to do that?

I’ve been searching for more detailed info for a while now, but it’s pretty hard to come by.

2 Likes