Content Editing (Font emphasis and Coloring)

I’m trying to introduce the content diversity in the website. The document I refer is:

Emphasis
Italics with asterisks or underscores.
Bold with asterisks or underscores.
Combined emphasis with asterisks and underscores.
Strikethrough with two tildes.

Therefore, in one paper setup, I did the following test:

title = “[* * Bold * *] Mobile visual clothing search” (the space between asterisks is just for the purpose of demo)

However, instead of displaying the corresponding bold font, it simply prints the asterisks:

How can I make it right?

Also, is there a way that I can add color for the specific text?

Thank you for the help!

I don’t 100% understand what you’re getting at, but you can use the markdownify function: https://gohugo.io/templates/functions#markdownify to output styled text.

Sorry for the bad expression. I am just trying to apply the bold effect on the text by adding double asterisks before/after the string. However, the string is not bold. Instead, the added asterisks are displayed. Therefore, I assume I didn’t get the right way to bold string in md environment.

Make sure there are no spaces between the asterisks and words and remove the brackets unless a) they are part of an anchor or b) you want them written to the page as well.

The above is for markdown within your page’s body copy (that is, content). For front matter fields, you don’t need to bracket a value unless it’s, for example, a field that takes multiple values (that is, an array).

Thanks for the help. There are several entities in the publication template. I found that the emphasis (say bold) can be correctly displayed in author but not in title. Is it because that the title element in the publication widget definition doesn’t apply markdownify function?

If this is in a theme, then my guess would be…yes.