Blank white page when connecting to localhost:1313

Hiya,
I’m very new to creating websites.

I’m following the giraffe academy tutorials to download the giraffe academy theme at https://github.com/giraffeacademy/ga-hugo-theme.

It looks like I have set everything up including editing the config file. But when I use ‘hugo server’ it does not work properly. As a result when I go to localhost:1313 is it a blank white page - no errors.

I’ve tried using a different theme and got the same result so I don’t think the theme is at fault.

Here is the message I get in cmd:

c:\Hugo\first_site>hugo server
Building sites … WARN 2019/04/15 18:31:11 found no layout file for "HTML" for "home": You should create a template file which matches Hugo Layouts Lookup Rules for this combination.
WARN 2019/04/15 18:31:11 found no layout file for "HTML" for "taxonomyTerm": You should create a template file which matches Hugo Layouts Lookup Rules for this combination.
WARN 2019/04/15 18:31:11 found no layout file for "HTML" for "taxonomyTerm": You should create a template file which matches Hugo Layouts Lookup Rules for this combination.

| EN
+------------------+----+
  Pages            |  3
  Paginator pages  |  0
  Non-page files   |  0
  Static files     |  0
  Processed images |  0
  Aliases          |  0
  Sitemaps         |  1
  Cleaned          |  0

Total in 550 ms
Watching for changes in c:\Hugo\first_site\{content,data,layouts,static}
Watching for config changes in c:\Hugo\first_site\config.toml
Environment: "development"
Serving pages from memory
Running in Fast Render Mode. For full rebuilds on change: hugo server --disableFastRender
Web Server is available at http://localhost:1313/ (bind address 127.0.0.1)
Press Ctrl+C to stop
WARN 2019/04/15 18:32:40 found no layout file for "HTML" for "home": You should create a template file which matches Hugo Layouts Lookup Rules for this combination.

Please assist?

0 Likes

I have also noticed that although I can edit or add to the archetype file in my site, it does not get added to new .md files I create. These still match the default archetype.

0 Likes

Hi,

Do you have your code somewhere we can look at?

0 Likes

Which bit do you want? Or how to grab it so you can see?

0 Likes

Ideally the whole project, if you have it in a repository somewhere. Otherwise at least the config file, and what your content directory looks like. Also, what version hugo are you using?

0 Likes

Hugo Static Site Generator v0.55.1-223B3C2E windows/amd64 BuildDate: 2019-04-12T09:56:45Z

This the version I am using. I half think it is the way I have set up Hugo (or not) that is causing the problem. I did install git as advised in the quick start tutorial but I do not know where my repository would be. (Sorry.)

Here is my config file:

baseURL = “http://example.org/
languageCode = “en-us”
title = “My New Hugo Site”
theme = “ga-hugo-theme”

0 Likes

My .md files with the content folder all look something like this:

title: “D”
date: 2019-04-15T20:32:36+01:00
draft: true

This is dir1/dir2/d.md

My default archetype is this:

title: “{{ replace .Name “-” " " | title }}”
date: {{ .Date }}
draft: false
author: Pip

0 Likes

Can you verify that your project structure looks something like this?

├── archetypes
│   └── default.md
├── config.toml
├── content
├── data
├── layouts
├── resources
├── static
└── themes
    └── ga-hugo-theme
        ├── archetypes
        │   └── default.md
        ├── layouts
        │   ├── 404.html
        │   ├── _default
        │   │   ├── list.html
        │   │   └── single.html
        │   └── partials
        │       ├── footer.html
        │       └── header.html
        ├── LICENSE.md
        ├── README.md
        └── theme.toml

BTW, you can enclose your code blocks in three back ticks to format them properly:

``` 
code here

``` 

0 Likes

My config.toml file is at the very bottom of the list but other than that, yes.

0 Likes

Can you try running hugo server -D

This is to tell Hugo to build drafts as well.

Also, can you try running hugo or hugo -D and see if files are generated in public?

0 Likes

So loading draughts let my second test site load - although not the first one - I will have to compare them.

Where am I looking for ‘public’?

If it is c:\users\public then nothing appears to be generating here.

0 Likes

You’re looking for that directory in your hugo project (so, most likely under the same directory your config.toml file).

0 Likes

Both my sites are loading properly now.

I think using ‘hugo server -D’ was the key although I have no idea why one site worked before the other.

Stupidly, I don’t think I had saved all the changes I had made before trying to reload the page. So it was loading but showing me an empty page… facepalm

I still don’t know where this public folder is - I cannot see one within my Hugo folders. However I do have everything loading for now.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes

As mentioned above, you have to run the plain hugo command to build public dir.

Or, you can run hugo server --renderToDisk

0 Likes