Apologies...but I'm lost from the start! (Installation Help)

First, forgive me if I’m repeating a post but I couldn’t find one that answered my question…

I keep getting the error message ‘hugo’ is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. when I try the “hugo help” command suggested by the Installation instructions. I’ve gone over the instructions several times and I keep getting the same result.

I've extracted the most recent Hugo version into my 'bin' folder and added Hugo to the path variable

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My issue is that it works when I run the "hugo help" command from the bin folder. But if I try to run it from the "Sites" folder, as the installation suggests, I'm back to the "Hugo not recognised" issue.

I’m sure I’m missing some small detail. Can someone just point me in the right direction? Thanks for any help you guys can give.

The PATH should only contain the path and not the filename, so in your case: C:\Hugo\bin

1 Like

slaps forehead Thanks a million, @bep!

1 Like

Hi, I also just started and had the same issue, I added the C:\Hugo\bin path to the variables, however the ‘user variables’. This didn’t work, after adding the path to the system variables it worked (only after a reboot though).

This might be a good tip in the Hugo installation help pages.

Keep in mind that anytime the PATH is updated on Windows, your Command Prompt or PowerShell has to be restarted to pick up the changes

1 Like

I followed the instructions completely, but the only problem is that I don’t have a PATH variable. I only have Path.

If you are on Windows, the case doesn’t matter. Update the path to Hugo’s bin folder in the Path variable.