Any plans to support Dash in the future?

Please take a look: Dash

Jekyll is supported and it would make search for functions, variables etc. much easier. Dash is also supported by Sublime Text. And Dash is a good Snippet Manager.

1 Like

It not clear to me what you’re asking for. What does Hugo need to do in order to support Dash?

Oh, sorry, I thought that was clear. Basically the Hugo Docs should be in Dash. If you want to know how that looks you can try with Bash, Ruby, Jekyll, CSS, HTML, JavaScript, Neat, Bourbon, Foundation etc. All their docs have been ported to Dash. So answers are only a keystroke away (like Ctrl+Cmd+D) without the need to open a website or even to leave Sublime Text.

A complete list is on their website: Dash

Example: If I want to know about Jekyll Includes I open Dash with Shortcut and type jekyll:includes. Immediately I have the respective doc in front of me. Takes about 5 Seconds to get there.

You still assume a little too much, Leo. Is Dash a structural file format? Could we create some templates for that as part of the build?

So, there are no plans. But

1. If it is a popular documentation format
  2. Fairly easy to support.

Sure.

That’s what I don’t know. I thought Dash would be more used by other developers. I use it since a long time but don’t know the technique behind is. If I have some time I’ll try to find out.

Just found on their site Docsets how Docsets are made. It looks that a simple HTML-Build is enough. GoDoc is supported as well. I can take the task if you authorize.

Generate docsets from:
1. AppleDoc (Objective-C Source Files)
2. Python, Sphinx or PyDoctor-Generated Documentation
3. Javadoc-Generated Documentation
4. RDoc or Yard-Generated Documentation
5. Scaladoc-Generated Documentation
6. GoDoc-Generated Documentation
7. HexDoc-Generated Documentation
8. DartDoc-Generated Documentation
9. Haddock-Generated Documentation
10. JSDoc Comments
11. Doxygen (Source Files: C, C++, C#, PHP, Objective-C, Java, Python)
12. Any HTML Documentation
12.1. Create the Docset Folder
12.2. Copy the HTML Documentation
12.3. Create the Info.plist File
12.4. Create the SQLite Index
12.5. Populate the SQLite Index
12.5.1. Supported Entry Types
12.6. Table of Contents Support (optional)

Hugo’s documentation does not fall in the classical domain of documentation tools that extract the relevant content from the source code. It’s rather the Any HTML Documentation section in Dash’s docs.

tl;dr: we would have to populate an SQLite database that indexes all generated pages.

Dash looks like a nice tool but it’s OS X only (though I’m not sure what this says about the quantity of users) and adds overhead to the the maintenance of the docs due to the index in the database. I’m not sure if it’s worth that. But this are just my two cents.

Just found out that Hugo is already supported in some way. The Github Repo is available in the search area and some other stuff. So if you search for hugonew you get the Github page for creating new content and in the results bar also for creating a new site.

I should have checked before, so sorry for bothering you.

Dash is a great tool. I use both the iOS and OSX versions. That said, I think it’s greatest strength is for offline reference (aside from the many cool bookmarking features, etc). Hugo is a bit different in that the docs ship with the binary, so at least you always have the option to run locally…

1 Like

The dash author takes requests through their contact form.

There’s a cross-platform alternative to Dash: Zeal. It’s free and open source.
These are really great tool: instant docs search results and there’s plugins for a lot of code editors.

1 Like