Any idea why my Hugo published site is stripping quotation marks from some html tag attributes?

Link to my public repository: https://github.com/darrenaddy/mybootstrap5x.git

Looking at my Public/index.html source code (to diagnose a different problem) I find that quotation marks are stripped from LOTS of html tags. I can’t see any rhyme or reason for it. For example, my fingerprinted CSS tag looks like this:

<link rel=stylesheet href=./css/styles.779122179e73b54c91dfc70aecaf259dfba7d9983d58d641ee96696f8eb0ef73.css integrity="sha256-d5EiF55ztUyR38cK7K8lnfun2Zg9WNZB7pZpb46w73M=" media=screen>

In the case above, there are quotes around the integrity value, but not the values for: rel, href, or media.

A call to Google fonts in the head is published like this:
<link href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Open+Sans:300,300i,400,400i,600,600i,700,700i|Raleway:300,300i,400,400i,500,500i,600,600i,700,700i|Poppins:300,300i,400,400i,500,500i,600,600i,700,700i" rel=stylesheet>
No quotation marks around the rel value but there IS around the href value.

Quotation marks stripped from all values like this:

<form method=post><input type=email name=email><input type=submit value=Subscribe>

This is all over the index.html.

<div class="social-links mt-3">
  <a href=# class=twitter><i class="bx bxl-twitter"></i></a>
  <a href=# class=facebook><i class="bx bxl-facebook"></i></a>
  <a href=# class=instagram><i class="bx bxl-instagram"></i></a>
  <a href=# class=google-plus><i class="bx bxl-skype"></i></a>
  <a href=# class=linkedin><i class="bx bxl-linkedin"></i></a></div>

My css is being generated and post processed with this code in the head partial:

{{ $options := (dict "transpiler" "libsass" "targetPath" "css/styles.css" "outputStyle" "expanded") }}
    {{ $scss := resources.Get "sass/main.scss" }}
    {{ $style := $scss | resources.ToCSS  $options | fingerprint }}
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="{{ $style.RelPermalink }}" {{ if hugo.IsProduction }}integrity="{{ $style.Data.Integrity }}" {{ end }}media="screen">

I do have html comments in my partials. Could that be causing the issue?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Are you building your site with the minify option?

Thanks for the reply. Add’l info:

I’ve determined that this problem does NOT happen when I use the simple hugo command to build the site. However, I’ve been following some instructions that I found online to use NPM scripts to build the site. I’m currently doing: npm run build and here is what the scripts section of my package.json looks like:

"scripts": {
    "clean": "rimraf public",
    "devsass": "sass --no-source-map assets/sass/main.scss assets/css/styles.css",
    "prodsass": "sass --no-source-map assets/sass/main.scss assets/css/styles.css --style=expanded",
    "start": "NODE_ENV=development npm-run-all clean devsass --parallel dev:*",
    "build": "NODE_ENV=production npm-run-all clean prodsass prod:hugo",
    "dev:sass": "npm run devsass -- --watch",
    "dev:hugo": "hugo server --disableFastRender --gc",
    "build:hugo": "hugo --gc --cleanDestinationDir",
    "prod:hugo": "hugo --gc --minify --cleanDestinationDir"
  },```

Does anyone see something in there that would lead to the npm script build stripping the quotation marks???

Also, not sure if it means anything, but here is the section of my package.json listing the dependencies. I’m not sure why sass and sass-embedded are only listed as devDependencies. I don’t remember doing anything different to install them via npm.

"dependencies": {
    "@fortawesome/fontawesome-free": "^6.1.1",
    "@fullhuman/postcss-purgecss": "^4.1.3",
    "autoprefixer": "^10.4.7",
    "bootstrap": "^5.1.3",
    "boxicons": "^2.1.2",
    "cssnano": "^5.1.7",
    "npm-run-all": "^4.1.5",
    "pixrem": "^5.0.0",
    "postcss": "^8.4.13",
    "postcss-cli": "^9.1.0",
    "rimraf": "^3.0.2"
  },
  "devDependencies": {
    "sass": "^1.51.0",
    "sass-embedded": "^1.50.1"
  }

The script being run in my package.json when I do npm run build was running LibSass “compressed”. But I changed it to “expanded” to make the resulting css easier to read and the problem remains. Not using “minify” pipe (that I know of).

The minify option does a number of things, including the removal of quotation marks that are not required.

1 Like

Here you do a minify.

Ah. Thanks. I did not follow the processing chain of the scripts calling scripts.

If you still want to use it, you can set in your config file the following:

[minify.tdewolff.html]
    keepQuotes = true																	# default: false

More info available here: Configure Hugo | Hugo

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.