Aliases appear not to work properly in the New Google Search Console

I never saw an issue with the old version of the search console picking up the redirect, or most importantly the “canonical” as that is what they use to recognise a redirect.

Basically, when I inspected the alias in the Search console (enter the url in the top bar to inspect it) it came back as no-index, and as such it did not display any other information about the url.

I decided to test the meta refresh alias with a custom alias.html in the layouts directory removing the no-index:

<!DOCTYPE html><html><head><title>{{ .Permalink }}</title><link rel="canonical" href="{{ .Permalink }}"/><meta charset="utf-8" /><meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; url={{ .Permalink }}" /></head></html>

Now when I inspect the alias, it is able to crawl it, and has a “User-declared canonical”. The “Google-selected canonical” is the same as “user-declared canonical” (i.e. the new page), so I know it is working correctly, and most importantly, I know that Google is recognizing it.

I am more than happy to use my custom alias.html, but I thought I would bring it to your attention in the event there is an issue using the inbuilt template.

Arguably, the no-index is not required anyway, as the canonical ensures only the new page is indexed.

Edit: The attached images says it better:

With no-index

Without no-index

1 Like