Add metadata via shortcode

Greetings,

Is it possible to use a short code to affect .Page.params ? I am trying to implement some SEO metadata via schema.org ontologies using the JSON+LD format. However I want to store the metadata which will be loaded into the JSON payload in the body rather than the front matter. In particular, I am looking to describe the videos embedded in a given page. My videos are embedded with a short code. It seems logical that I should keep the metadata I want in the JSON payload with the particular video and put it as an additional element in the shortcode. I am wondering if a shortcode can also insert metadata into the head of the file. It seems that this would be the inverse of what the documentation calls “The .Param Method”

I don’t think there is a conventional way to achieve what you want. That being said, you could search for the shortcode in you page’s .RawContent

{{ with (findRE "{{< youtube id=\"(.|\n)*?\" >}}" .RawContent) }}
  {{ range . }}
    {{ $video := replaceRE "{{< youtube id=\"(.*?)\" >}}" "$1" . }}
    {{ $videos = $videos | append . }}
  {{ end }}
{{ end }}

The code above first look for instances of a youtube shortcode. Then it ranges on the results, and for each occurence, isolate the id argument and add it to a slice.

Then you have a slice with a list of video ids used on that page. Of course you need more than ids, but it give you an approach here.

1 Like

You could use .Page.Scratch..., from the shortcode. But you need to make sure that you call .Content or similar before you start using that data.

1 Like

For completenes: When I say similar I mean “the other content related page methods that triggers shortcode rendering”, e.g. .Content, .WordCount…