A new Hugo Themes resource is available

Hi there,

we released today Jamstack.club, a Jamstack theme repository with advanced feature selection.

There is a section dedicated to Hugo themes, I hope it will be useful to someone here.

It’s 5 o’clock in the morning now in France, we’ll publish some notes in the next days, but you can already check out the issue tracker to see where we are heading to.

5 Likes

Great resource. If you find more news/newspaper/magazine ones, you can add them.

1 Like

A “Resources” page will be added, and you can submit your best bookmarks in this issue!

Great resource.

Thanks!

1 Like

Great! Thank you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for this. One can hope it continues to be maintained long term, and not just as a build out and then slowly neglected (the common fate of this sort of thing, unless there is someone earning something for keeping it maintained long term, and the funding source continues to exist and maintain it’s interest).

1 Like

Yep, thanks for pointing that!

The major inspiration I have in mind when starting a new project is the Tails “Contribute” documentation.

The main ideas:

Focus on low-effort maintainability

Many, many projects have lived fast and died young. We explain this by their being one wo/man efforts, as well as design decisions that made their maintenance much too costly timewise and energywise.

Since the early days of this project (i.e. early 2009), ease of maintenance in the long run has been a major factor in every decision we have made. Nowadays Tails is more alive and kicking than it has ever been, and we feel this would have been impossible without this mindset.

[…]

Second, we try not to reinvent the wheel , and we flee the Not invented here syndrome like the plague. Very little code is actually written specifically for Tails: most of what we call code work on Tails is more similar to system administration than it is to programming. We glue existing pieces together. When we need a feature that no software provides yet, we tend to pick the best existing tool, and do whatever is needed to get the needed feature upstream… which sometimes implies to write a patch ourselves.

I will go into details in the doc asap, but the main points are:

• low-efforts = long run (adding a theme only requires to edit a single Markdown file - everything else is automated, and comes with no cost)
  • minimize the delta with related projects and submit upstream asap.
  • bring the main upcoming features to an open discussion early… and wait… sleep on it… get out and find accomplices facing the same challenges.
    This is the next step: write a friendly ‘Contribute’ documentation, spread a call, then welcome new contributors the best way I can with my limited english :sob:
    If you have the chance to be a native english-speaker and you want to help kickstart the project, a few minutes of review would be super-welcome!
    Cheers
2 Likes

I implemented a Newsletter btw, based on Hugo, Buttondown and Netlify Functions.
You can see the form right here and the code is available in a dedicated branch.
A documentation will be published soon, ping me if you are interested, this will encourage me to clean up and push

I, by chance, am a native English speaker and willing to help out :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Do you have a git repo upon which to submit pull requests with proposed edits?

Also, your English is quite good, but we all need review and proofreading. I’ve made more than my fair share of mistakes, especially when whipping off a quick note.

3 Likes

I, by chance, am a native English speaker and willing to help out

That’s awesome, thank you!

I gave a first try with an update on the Readme, and opened an issue dedicated to the review.

Do you have a git repo upon which to submit pull requests with proposed edits?

Sure! See this repo* on Github.

The tag “Proofread” could be used to label issues related to help-needed-from-english-native-speakers :grin:

This workflow can be changed in any direction you want, I’m so glad you proposed your help! That’s super precious, thanks!

*Sidenote:
The repo on Github does not contain all the modifications done for jamstack.club. I deploy for now from a private Gitlab repo, to let me room for self review, make mistakes, and git push --force :sweat_smile:

Code in public, for sure!-- Taking care of my ability to focus and fail… that’s nicer!

But when it’s ready I push dedicated and carefully tested branches.
I hope you’re fine with it, that’s the only way I found to stop worrying at night about my messy public drafts!
</end of the sidenote>

2 Likes

Could you include an option to filter those based on no framework? Just pure SASS/SCSS/CSS? Or even no jQuery? Also, some of the demos are missing.

Hop, added to the list! See #1

Could you please point me to the missing demos?
Thanks!

1 Like

List is one of them

Nice catch thanks!

The iframe used to embed the Demo does not work for some themes:

I’ll dig into it later, and opened a ticket to track this issue. Thanks @esawertu!

I’ve forked the repo and got it on my todo list for what for me is going to be stress-free holidays (not expecting anyone to be here, no pressures to do all kinds of social stuff, so I can have some nice tea and relax while doing stuff that interests me on a very loose schedule (i.e. no deadlines). Ought to keep me from getting bored (I’ve got a big list of stuff, but this one is near the beginning; I don’t expect to get to everything I want to do, but I should be able to clear a good chunk).

Hope you too have holidays that are good for you.

1 Like

I’ve submitted a few minor changes that I hope are refinements. I ended up initially creating the pull request against my own fork so I have rather verbose review at Writing refinements for the README by danielfdickinson · Pull Request #1 · danielfdickinson/RoneoOrg-jamstack.club · GitHub instead of on base repository. Keeps the clutter down on the main repo at least!

1 Like

Merged! (see #23)
Thanks a lot @cshoredaniel , that’s much appreciated!
(Check your mailbox!)

1 Like