0.63.1 not finding 404 template

I have a template in themes/mytheme/layouts/404.html. In 0.62.2 it got rendered properly into the output directory, but in 0.63.1 it’s missing.

I do have a layouts directory in the base of the repository, but there’s no 404.html file there to override. Did the lookup order get changed? Is this a bug or was I doing something previously that should not have worked?

Thanks for any help!

1 Like

The base template lookup order changed in v0.63.0

Ah, ok. The release notes seemed to imply there was only a change for the Baseof template, but I see this applies to all templates. (I was apparently too quick to jump to the bullet points!)

It’s still not clear to me what I need to change, though. Why wouldn’t it find the 404 in the theme directory now?

1 Like

cc: @bep

I confirm that on the latest hugo build, the layouts/404.html does not render a public/404.html.

The issue is reproducible by following the instructions in my site’s README.

If layouts/404.html is no longer the valid location for it, we need to change the documentation for Custom 404.

1 Like

A similar convo is happening here too…

That seems to be a different issue.

For me, between Hugo 0.62.2 and latest Hugo build, only one page is generated less compared to Hugo 0.62.2.

km²~/hugo/:scripter.co> hugo version                                                                            01/24 9:17am
Hugo Static Site Generator v0.64.0-DEV-8195A394:CHROMA-26F03CB linux/amd64 BuildDate: 2020-01-24T08:59:01-0500
km²~/hugo/:scripter.co> hugo    

| EN
-------------------+------
  Pages            | 853
  Paginator pages  |   7
  Non-page files   |  19
  Static files     |  93
  Processed images |   0
  Aliases          |   5
  Sitemaps         |   1
  Cleaned          |   0

Total in 2871 ms
km²~/hugo/:scripter.co> hugo_0_62_2 version                                                                                                                                                                                                      01/24 9:17am
Hugo Static Site Generator v0.62.2-83E50184 linux/amd64 BuildDate: 2020-01-05T18:51:38Z
km²~/hugo/:scripter.co> hugo_0_62_2      

| EN
+------------------+-----+
  Pages            | 854
  Paginator pages  |   7
  Non-page files   |  19
  Static files     |  93
  Processed images |   0
  Aliases          |   5
  Sitemaps         |   1
  Cleaned          |   0

Total in 2561 ms

That one less page is the 404.html that doesn’t get generated using Hugo 0.64-DEV (or the Hugo 0.63.1).

1 Like

stange…

Yeah, I use this super basic script to compare the outputs of Hugo revisions before upgrading, and it’s helped me catch stuff I would have missed otherwise (like the formatting that changed in the switch to Goldmark).

Glad I spotted the missing 404 before running a deploy. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of it…

1 Like

There is an issue open over at Github about this.

@bep fixed it. update :slight_smile:

Yep, I just confirmed by rebuilding from Hugo master. 404.html now generates fine. Thanks @bep!

1 Like