Static site generators are awesome, unfortunately non-technical people have hard time getting on-board. One of the reason, is that when they hear about “GIT”, installing OpenSSH Putty, etc… they run away
In short, It does require quite a bit of knowledge to start building website using SSG’s… Potentially if they want to be using some CMS they might require to install NodeJs / Python or other utilities.
Once that is done, they also have to start thinking how / where they would be hosting their website and also creating all of the other. In short, these people ends-up with using system like WIX and paying lots of money. We wanted to build something to help end-user get started with Hugo but automating the process as a whole including the git creation of their website based on a template (from our hosted CMS version).
Our solution was built using the following in mind:
- Single crossplatform binary CMS (GoHugo / API)
- quick and easy to setup on cheap run of themill webhostings
- an easy to use but powerful backend, which enables our (mostly) tech-unsavy customers to change every text, every image, create new pages etc.
- Git backed, static site generators
- No 3rd party tools such as Git client / OpenSSH when working locally, but still allow them to save changes to git (for non-technical people)
- Easy hosted / preview sites using git hooks update the websites including preview websites for (PR & Branches)
I would like to hear about what you guys are thinking of our implementation, and hopefully if any Vue.JS folks, or anyone out there would be interested into helping us growing a community around this CMS please reach out to us via our homepage at acentera.com
So our CMS “Org” website is located at : https://acenteracms.org/
For people that would simply want to test our online “beta” version, you could try to create a new account at https://cms.acentera.com/admin/ and let us know if you ran into any issues, or what you liked / disliked on creating a new SSG website and the overall experience.
- Francis L.