When to use capitalisation for values in data & partials?

Hello,

First post here from a newbie. Generally learning Hugo and it’s great.
But… I’m running into some problems and I’m clueless about this one.

I was roughly following the guide for Jaco Pastorius discography from https://gohugo.io/templates/data-templates/

The example worked, but I wanted something different.
Instead of discography, I’ve put some basic data into each bass player data file (TOML), like so:
name = John guitar = Gibson

So then in my partial, instead of using range for the discography, I simply wanted to display the name and the guitar brand, like so:
<p>{{ .name }}: {{ .guitar }}</p>

Well, turns out this doesn’t work!

After 1 hour of panic googling and browsing this forum, I just tried to capitalise the “name” in both data file and the partial, and… it worked.

Could anyone clarify why I need to use capitalisation?
Where in the docs is this specified?
Why I don’t have to capitalise the “guitar”?

Cheers

(capitalize capitalization)

@bzx Huh. I’ve never run into this before. I think I can help if given a bit more context, please. Do you happen to have your source somewhere I can clone and test locally?

@rdwatters hey, thanks for your response… I think I realised that in templates all the variables must be referred to with a capital letter (it’s coming from Go language requirement I guess).

I don’t have a source, and anyway, I also realised that I need to solve my problem otherwise, by using content files.

Cheers

PS. if you really want to test it for yourself, just modify the data file for Pastorius albums, and add a field with:
name = Jaco and guitar = Gibson above the discography, and then in the partial try to call these values… the “Name” will have to be capitalised, the “guitar” won’t…