Titles of body images not showing inline in posts

First of all thanks for a great theme.

I am a little stuck/confused with images within a post ignoring titles.

On a friends blog that I have setup with this theme they have a number of news posts. I have setup the hugo blog to use the Decap CMS (was Netlify CMS) which allows them a graphical front end to edit the posts (and not bother me)

They plan to insert a series of images into some of their news items to show off their events from different perspectives.

The post below comes from one of their posts on the blog.

Note how the Decap CMS inserts images into the markdown

![](/images/img-2934.jpg "TiM Friends quiz and coffee morning")

It adds the text into the () following the image url

This is reasonably standard (see https://www.w3schools.io/file/markdown-images/)

However, either Hugo or the theme just ignores any title placed in the ( ) brackets

Sample post:

---
title: Silver Sunday Annual Lunch for Senior citizens
Featured_Image: /images/img-2544.jpg
date: 2022-10-02T13:57:00.000Z
description: TiM Friends (Together in Mission) supporting local residents
---
![](/images/img-0382.jpg "TiM Friends craft morning with Corn Exchange  Co.")

![](/images/img-2934.jpg "TiM Friends quiz and coffee morning")

![](/images/img-0793.jpg "Burghfield May  Fayre")

This would output only the three images in the body (plus the featured image from the header).

None of the titles are shown on the page.

Is this a bug in the template or a bug in Hugo? Is it just me misunderstanding or do I have to turn on some setting that I’ve missed in the documentation?

Which theme? Did you cross-post this in the theme’s repository?

Just to clear, the title attribute on an img element is shown on mousever.

Does the theme use a markdown render hook for images? If yes, does it render the title attribute on the img element?

How does Hugo render the body of a post?

Please provide answers to my previous questions.

Sorry previous reply was blocked

Which theme? Did you cross-post this in the theme’s repository?

Yes I have cross posted to the theme’s github repo theNewDynamic/gohugo-theme-ananke

Just to clear, the title attribute on an img element is shown on mousever.

Titles appear on mouseover

Does the theme use a markdown render hook for images? If yes, does it render the title attribute on the img element?

the Title field in the DeCap CMS editor goes to the Title in the markdown.

Looking at the source from the rendered page it appears that the markdown title gets rendered to the alt-text (which I missed) which suggests the theme could be at fault.

I don’t know much about the theme github: theNewDynamic/gohugo-theme-ananke or Hugo as I am new to Hugo from Jekyll

I do know that the theme handles markdown as even though the user is editing in the rich text mode of DeCap CMS (aka Netlify CMS) the CMS writes in markdown to my repo ( github: crossroadschurch/crossroads-website).

You say that the titles appear on mouseover. That is the correct browser behavior. What were you expecting to be different?

This test site uses the Ananke theme. Give it a try and look at Post 1.

git clone --recurse-submodules --single-branch -b hugo-forum-topic-44186 https://github.com/jmooring/hugo-testing hugo-forum-topic-44186
cd hugo-forum-topic-44186
hugo server

Sorry I was thinking of figures. (I have now posted a feature request on the decap cms to support figures.)

My brain got side tracked because like most people if you see a title field the brain often goes to assuming that this title actually appears to the user - I forgot that HMTL doesnt actually do things this way.

I don;t want to rely on the user manually entering titles and as most users do do it a different way each time they make a post thus messing up and CSS I setup

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.