Support for markdown atx headers?

I can’t seem to get my markdown to be parsed properly when I use atx style headers.

I am able to get h1 and h2 headers by using this:

Header 1
=========

Header 2
---------

But not

#Header 1
##Header 2
###Header 3

In the above example, the generated html simply reads literally: ###Header 3, etc.

I don’t see anyone else having this problem, though, so I must be doing something wrong. Any tips? Do I have a blackfriday setting wrong?

I assume so, as my tests with blackfriday indicate that blackfriday.MarkdownCommon fails to render atx style headers properly, while blackfriday.MarkdownBasic works fine. I just can’t see documented anywhere what setting I am supposed to change. Again, my apologies for not seeing this somewhere.

My config.toml:

baseurl = "https://mysite.com/"
languageCode = "en-us"
title = "My Web Site"
pygmentsCodeFences = true
pygmentsUseClasses = true

Thanks for any response!
Jonathan

Hugo uses a set of its own defaults + some config options. Looks like there are a setting in MarkdownBasic that we do not enable, that we maybe should. If you can figure out that setting and create a GitHub issue in Hugo we can fix it.

But, I thought there should be a whitespace between # and the header, so this works for me:

# Header 1
## Header 2
### Header 3

Ha! That was it. Which makes me suspect that the EXTENSION_SPACE_HEADERS is set in both Hugo and MarkdownCommon. Which is probably a good idea!

Thanks so much for your prompt response!