Summary Views Not Rendering Syntax Highlighting


#1

I have a home page view that renders a list of all of my sites pages. If the summary of one of the pages includes a content snippet with syntax highlighting, the rendered summary on the home page view doesn’t retain the formatting. See the image below:

Where as the post at locahost:1313/posts/my-first-post does have the syntax highlighting.

I’m using the Hyde theme from here.

How can I get the home page summary view to retain the syntax highlighting format?


#2

Hi, we cannot help you with just a screenshot. We’d need to see your code.


#3

The code I’m using right now is just from the Hyde theme from spf13. The source can be found here:


#4

You could try piping the summary to markdownify. AKA override the index template and edit line 9 here https://github.com/spf13/hyde/blob/c0cdd0ea1b477246ba9cb9e7123e80535e97ea8f/layouts/index.html#L9

To be:

{{ .Summary | markdownify }}

#5

@zwbetz I tried what you suggested and that doesn’t work either.

Any other possible options? Thoughts/suggestions?


#6

Thinking about this some more, I remember @budparr documenting different summary behavior depending on how the summary content was specified.

See Inconsistent behavior with .Summary tag

Then try specifying your summary with the more syntax:

<!--more-->

#7

I tried this snippet of code from that discussion:

I get the content wrapped in the <p> </p> tags (no <!–more–> was specified in the content). But the formatting is still the same. Sounds like that’s consistent with the behavior you were experiencing in that discussion.


#8

Did you try adding the more comment into your content?


#9

Yes I did. I didn’t get the <p> </p> tags wrapped around the Summary content, so I know that conditional block of code was working. It didn’t lead to the results I was hoping for though.


#10

Hmm. I don’t use the summary variable in my personal projects so I’m not familiar with it like others. Sorry I couldn’t help. Perhaps someone else knows a way


#11

Ah, I got it to work!

I misread this https://gohugo.io/content-management/summaries/#manual-summary-splitting

Content that comes before the summary divider will be used as that content’s summary and stored in the .Summary page variable with all HTML formatting intact.

I put the <!–more–> summary divider after content and it worked great!