Sparklines for the number of posts etc

I want to get a count of blog posts by month. Actually, I want to do that for each of my types of content. Ultimately, the idea is to generate a sparkline, rather link Aaron Parecki does on his website.
AaronParecki-Sparklines

The code I finally ended up with looks like this. First I have a partial template posting-status.html . It cycles through all the types of sections I have and draws a sparkline, a count of posts, and a link to the section. I don’t think the code is pretty, but it seems to work.

{{ range .Pages.GroupBy "Section" }}
{{ $MyKey := .Key }}

<ul class="sparklines">
   {{ range .Pages }}
   <li>
      <embed {{ printf "src=%q" ( replaceRE "(\\s)" "" (partial "sparkline-data" (dict "context" . "WhatSection" $MyKey ))) | safeHTMLAttr }}  width="100" height="15">
     {{ len .Pages }} <a href="{{ .Permalink }}">{{ .Title }}</a> 
   </li>
   {{ end }}
 </ul>
{{ end }}

Then there is another partial that gets the data needed for the sparkline. This took a lot of messing around because (a) Hugo was keen to HTML encode the data, and (b) I could figure way to build an ‘array’ of the count of posts by month. Anyway, in the end sparkline-data.html looks like this:

{{ $master_list := dict "2021 10" 0 }}

{{ $ThisSection := .WhatSection }}

{{ range (.context.Site.RegularPages.GroupByDate "y2006_01").Reverse }}
  {{ $my_year := .Key }} {{ $my_entries := len (where .Pages.Reverse "Section" $ThisSection  ) }}
  {{ $temp := dict $my_year $my_entries }}
  {{ $master_list = merge  $temp $master_list}}
{{ end }}

{{ $StartYear := 2000 }}
{{ $EndYear := now.Format "2006" }}

{{ $MyList := "0" }}
{{ $NewOne := "" }}
{{ range $index, $year := (seq $StartYear $EndYear ) }}
    {{ range $month := (seq 1 12) }}
      {{ $key := (printf "y%d_%02d" $year $month) }}
      {{ $entries := index $master_list $key }}
      {{ if $entries }}
         {{ $NewOne = $entries }}
      {{ else }}
         {{ $NewOne = "0" }}
      {{ end }}
      {{ $MyList = print $MyList ", " $NewOne }}
   {{ end }}
{{ end }}

{{- print "/images/sparkline.svg?" $MyList -}}

All-in-all, I don’t think I am good at doing coding/functions/templates in Hugo, but it works.

6 Likes