[SOLVED] Hugo's Snap stopped working

Hugo Server (installed via snap) stopped working for some reasons, it was still working some hours ago ; i have this error now:

/snap/hugo/1455/bin/hugo: relocation error: /snap/hugo/1455/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0: symbol __mmap, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

i tried to install the latest version to fix the problem with sudo snap refresh hugo, but it’s still there!

halp!

3 Likes

There are Linux binaries to download here: https://github.com/gohugoio/hugo/releases

1 Like

I get exactly the same error.
Ubuntu 16.04.4

Hmm… What is the Hugo version?

$ sudo snap list        
Name  Version    Rev   Developer     Notes
hugo  0.37.1     1455  hugo-authors  -

Is this Hugo verison is running fine on many Linux boxes, my best guess would be to check your Linux installation. I have no direct pointers, but there are some Google references out there.

Unfortunately, to “check your Linux installation” is a bit too generic for me to help with debugging. I currently don’t have a single other problem with my installation. I found some almost identical reports in other projects (e.g. https://github.com/minio/minio/issues/5472) but that don’t give me any hint as to what might be the underlying problem or even what could be the common denominator if the problem is related to a particular Linux installation. All I know right now is that hugo was working on my machine on 2018-03-10 and something has broken since then. It might have been caused by an update by Ubuntu or Hugo.

Hugo’s last update was on March the 7th.

The issue you describe has happened to me in the past. There was some downtime with no explanation and then the snap started working again.

May I suggest you leave things as they are now and check if the snap is working again tomorrow.

However if you’re in the middle of development and you can’t wait, it would be better if you installed a binary to get the job done.

No problem. I will re-check in the upcoming days if the problem persists. I don’t rely on the local installation of Hugo so for me right now it’s more of a professional curiosity why something has unexpectedly broken.

Well the Hugo 0.37.1 snap was published as I said on March the 7th. I used it myself in a Xubuntu 16.04.4 Virtual Machine two days ago and it was working fine.

Maybe people at the Ubuntu forums or Twitter know something.

Could you possibly tell me what the error actually means and what it might be related to? Just so that I have some leads in case I continue to play Hercule Poirot?

Same thing happened here; it was working, and than it wasn’t. I found the minio error first and it said Snaps weren’t supported on Ubuntu 14.04 so i thought fine, whatever, i’ll update to Ubuntu 17.10. I did that and have now removed and re-installed the hugo snap, to end up still with the same error:

/snap/hugo/1455/bin/hugo: relocation error: /snap/hugo/1455/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0: symbol __mmap, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

Given my strange journey here, i’ll just be happy that i’m not alone!

UPDATE 2018-03-29: Just came back to report that it started working again, and can see later in the thread that the reason is because @anthonyfok fixed it. Yay and thank you!

I cannot help you with this error.

Try asking at the Snapcraft forum: https://forum.snapcraft.io

To add to the weirdness, at first only hugo new was hitting this error but hugo server was working. Then, both started failing. I didn’t make any changes to my OS (16.04) in the intervening period. So weird.

I’m also getting the same issue. I’ve attempted to remove and reinstall Hugo and still get the same issue:

➜  mysite git:(master) snap list
Name       Version    Rev   Developer       Notes
core       16-2.31.2  4206  canonical       core
➜  mysite git:(master) snap install hugo
hugo 0.37.1 from 'hugo-authors' installed
➜  mysite git:(master) snap list
Name       Version    Rev   Developer       Notes
core       16-2.31.2  4206  canonical       core
hugo       0.37.1     1455  hugo-authors    -
➜  mysite git:(master) hugo serve
➜  mysite git:(master) hugo version

System Details:
Ubuntu 16.04 inside Virtualbox in a Windows 10 host.

@bep I confirmed this is resolved on Ubuntu 16.04 VM (on Windows 10 host) by installing the binary from Github.

Thanks!

@bep So when do you expect the snap version to start working again? And do you know what the issue is? Not everyone wants to go binary…

Binary took about 3 min to install so I’d definitely check that out if you’re in a rush. Not ideal if you’re already managing things with snap but should be a decent workaround while they figure out what happened with the snap.

That’s what we get for using pre-v1! XD

It’s a problem with updates to libc. Re-creating the Snap package on an updated system might help. Most issues on Github related to such error messages advise to rebuild via snapcraft cleanbuild - whatever that might mean to the maintainer of the snap package.

Lubuntu 17.10 running here, so it’s not a problem with “old” systems :wink:

No, that is what you get for using software. Hugo builds release binaries for lots of different OSes (I have stopped counting) and have lots of different distribution channels (Snap, Brew, Chocolatey, Debian, Ubuntu …), so even Microsoft with their support department would probably not fix any little snug by the hour. And it’s not like we have their manpower.

To you telling that this just happen without “any changes were made” to the system I will just remind you that modern OSes do what we call autoupdates of security patches etc.

1 Like