Rendering code blocks properly from .md files

This is a bug or its a feature?

When having a code block after a list, no matter how many new lines, the code block is rendered inside the list. Even if you have a list, after that a title, after that a code block. In this last case, both, title and code block are rendered inside the list.

I expect the example 1, the code to be rendered in the list, but not example 2 and example 3. Any other render works fine except what hugo uses.

The only way to break this circle is to put a text like that is going to be rendered as p between the list and the next stuff.

I can replicate example 1 and 2 but not 3 when using Blackfriday. I believe this is a bug, https://github.com/russross/blackfriday/issues.

I also tested with Mmark (also built in to Hugo) and then all three examples works as they should. So my suggestion is to switch to Mmark, I believe itā€™s better maintained.

Is there a way to set mmark as default render in hugo without having to set markup = "mmark" in front matter or changing the .md files to .mmark?

You could run this script from the root of your content dir. It will recursively rename all *.md files to *.mmark.

If you donā€™t have your site in a git repo, then definitely take a backup before doing this.

#!/bin/bash

ext_old="md"
ext_new="mmark"

files="$(find . -type f -name "*.$ext_old")"

for file in $files; do
  basename="$(basename "$file")"
  filename="${basename%.*}"
  dirname="$(dirname "$file")"
  echo mv "$file" "$dirname"/"$filename"."$ext_new"
  mv "$file" "$dirname"/"$filename"."$ext_new"
done
1 Like

@freethebit I cannot recreate the issue you are seeing.

Actually let me take that backā€¦

I see the issue with:

-   list item 1
-   list item 2

```
echo "hello"
```

-   another list item 1
-   another list item 2

But not with:

-   list item 1
-   list item 2

```text
echo "hello"
```

-   another list item 1
-   another list item 2

Notice the ```text :smile:.

Thanks for the reply, but this is not a option for me. Iā€™m looking for a static site generator that use something that properly render markdown .md files and default syntax and the content files a wide compatible with other tools. Since there is no global setup for this, Iā€™m moving on my actual project to another static site generator.

Speed is good as long it properly render the content.

And hereā€™s another workaround:

-   list item 1
-   list item 2

<!--list-end-->

```
echo "hello"
```

(I happen to know these shortcomings of Blackfriday as I have written an Emacs Org mode to Blackfriday compatible Markdown generator :smile:.)

1 Like

My opinion on this: its ugly, I donā€™t use shortcodes for a reason, mix stuff that is not content to content. If I need to use shortcode, I do not use.

I am in the same camp.

Iā€™m going to play with 11ty today and see how it goes. The sad part, is that I only notice it after developed a theme for hugo and made the setup CI / CD on gitlab.

Good luck!

Hereā€™s whatā€™s keeping me with Hugo:

• While the Blackfriday dependency sucks, the workarounds are not bad (thereā€™s a glimmer of hope that Hugo will switch to the commonmark Go library at some point).
  • Speed!
  • Static binary (I donā€™t need Ruby, node.js, etc. dependencies)
  • Apart from Markdown parsing, there are many things that make up a static site generator and Hugo is great in all those areasā€¦ few I can think of: the bundle system, resources, data files, theme inheritance, etc.
  • COMMUNITY! (this forum right here)
2 Likes

No if statement to check for the MD file extension in the event the OP is including images or other files inside the content dir?

Hi @rdwatters. If Iā€™m understanding your question correctly, then this line from the above only returns the files with the relevant extension.

files="$(find . -type f -name "*.$ext_old")"
2 Likes

Could you elaborate a bit on this? Or provide a link to discussion on this topic?
I am very curious about the reasoning for not using shortcodes. Thanks!

Thanks for creating a separate thread.

Oops. You abstracted that part too, which is awesome. Sorry for the sloppy feedback, @zwbetz, and thank you for sharing; Iā€™ll likely be using this sooner rather than lateršŸ˜Š

1 Like

After testing everything that I could the only option acceptable is what you showed:

```text
echo "hello"
```

Specifying the code language in every single block.

Is this a case to have in the documentation a explicit note about the need to specify the programming language when using code block?

It helps in one way but mess up the hole thing,

- Item 1

- Item 2

```zzz
    code
    ```

- Item 3

It make ā€˜item 3ā€™ as sub level of ā€˜item 2ā€™. The expected result was the code to be inside ā€˜item 2ā€™.

Without the ā€˜zzzā€™ the thing keep it well formatted.

1 Like

You could try the option pygmentsCodeFencesGuessSyntax: Configure Hugo | Hugo