I have discovered the Universal Theme for Hugo and find it very appealing.
However, I have a concern about it which is not hugo-specific, yet I decided to ask here since I guess an open-source community like this one usually pays attention to privacy issues.
I noticed that it makes server requests to:
- fonts.googleapis.com (-> could probably be replaced)
- bootstrapcdn.com (-> it’s a bootstrap theme)
- maps.googleapis.com (haven’t figured out yet what this is used for)
What I do know about gstatic, that it is used to load content from the google CDN.
According to better.fyi it monetises you (just as other google APIs) and uses invisible tracking pixels “on some sites” (?)
The source they refer to states that “Content loaded from ssl.gstatic.com and www.gstatic.com do not use client-side tracking methods.”
1. So, do I violate my visitors’ privacy by using gstatic (or the other components) in ethical terms?
2. Would it be possible to transfer all data that is fetched from those servers to my local project so it wouldn’t need those server requests anymore? *[see below]
*Edit: I have looked through the files. Is it right to assume that I can avoid using those external server requests by just placing the requested .css and .js from bootstrapcdn & google in my local folders (&updating the links in the source code)?