Old hugo blog barely works, very disappointed with stability. Advice on what to do to extract content?

It has been about a year and a bit since I was using it. There is little separation between content and style. I’ve tried to start a new blog and see if that looks reasonable but it seem like nothing really works anymore.

Has something changed in the way one uses hugo? I think base case is a quickstart that creates a site that supports listing posts and TOCs.

Even image inclusion (paths?) seems to have broken in my old site. There are no errors on building. Any advice or similar experiences?

It looks like the following content

THIS

DOES NOT EVEN APPEAR ANY MORE?

Has something fundamentally changed in how things are picked up?

Is it this? https://gohugo.io/news/0.60.0-relnotes/

What is the conversion they are suggesting if you don’t flip unsafe switch?

Should have clear example of what to wrap in to make compliant.

OMG that was it.

Please advertise this clearly. I think it should be called HUGO2 or something like that. The whole point of hugo was to have these mixed markdown + html. If I am reading this correctly somebody wants you to use shortcodes everywhere or just write html.

If it is a big deal to you, add this to your config.toml

[markup]
  defaultMarkdownHandler = "blackfriday"

This will return your site to the old markdown engine.

Adjust the syntax if you are using something other than TOML.

Please read about SEMVER:

https://nodesource.com/blog/semver-a-primer/#:~:text=Semver%20is%20a%20specification%20outlining,graphical%20user%20interface%20(GUI).

The part with the “0.x.x Versions” is very important. I know it’s not too entertaining overall, but the gist is that upgrading from Windows 98 to Windows 10 can be the same experience as from an “old Hugo blog” to the current version. Don’t use software whose version numbers start with a 0 if you don’t know what you are doing and if you don’t have resources (aka time) to update your website every time a new Hugo version comes out.

Once Hugo is at version 1 it will be stable between versions. Until it goes to version 2 and has breaking changes again.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.