Inserted images in .md files not showing up

I’m new to Hugo and only have some basic web design experience in the past. I’m trying to insert my own image into a new widget.

In the .md file, I have something like ! [] (/img/map.png). The image was pretty large, and I’ve tried resizing the file, but I still can’t get the image to show up. What’s the best practice for fixing this in Hugo?

Without a bit of context it’s hard to find the issue? Could you post the file tree of your hugo site?

• is the image you’re linking in the static folder or right next to your content file?
  • do you host your blog in a subdirectory, e.g. at www.example.com/blog?

I’m using the academic theme. My image is in static/img and my widget is under content/home/my_widget.md. My base URL in the config file is a subdirectory, www.uni.edu/~name.

I can get my portrait photo, a variable in the config file, to show up, but any images I place in the widgets are not appearing. My apologies for not knowing what information to give - happy to add anything that could be helpful.

It seems to be a problem with the baseurl being a subdirectory, which will be quite common for those using the academic theme. This discussion and this discussion talk about the issue.

As a beginner, I’m still not sure what my best approach is after reading those threads if I want to use a theme.

It seems to be a problem with the baseurl being a subdirectory, which will be quite common for those using the academic theme. This discussion and this discussion talk about the issue.
As a beginner, I’m still not sure what my best approach is after reading those threads if I want to use a theme.

I just posted my own solution to this in another thread, namely creating a custom shortcode that takes the baseURL into account when creating the link to the file. It fixed the problem for me.

1 Like

Thank you, that shortcode did the trick for me!