I recently decided to release the theme behind my personal site to the public: Hugo Liftoff.
It’s a modern blog/portfolio theme catered towards those wanting to jump-start a personal branding site or portfolio in any industry.
This is my first attempt at creating a theme so let me know what you think!
Some notable features:
- Series taxonomy with next/prev and “in this series” list
- Nested subsections and submenus
- Customizable newsletter opt-in with Netlify forms
- Landing page
- Many other customizations and SEO-friendly features
While there are still a few kinks to work out, I’m pretty happy with how it came out so far.
If you’re searching for a nice looking theme where you can blog and showcase your projects, definitely give it a shot.
I’m also looking for contributors and plan to keep improving it over time so feel free to fork it and play around!
Version 2 of Hugo Liftoff is live with a new demo site, better documentation, and a handful of enhancements / fixes.
View on Github
I’ve still yet to get my pull request merged into the official themes site. Fingers crossed that will happen soon.
If anyone wants to help contribute I would be really appreciative. Together we can build the best looking and most customizable blog/portfolio Hugo theme for creators!
All feedback welcome.
Quick update on the development of this theme. I recently improved the design of my personal site and I’m considering updating Hugo Liftoff to use this new design. This version is more minimalistic and content-focused.
Notable changes include:
- More recent posts on the homepage that you can filter by content subsection (instead of cards that link to each subsection)
- Light/dark mode toggle using css custom properties
- Sticky table of contents for posts on desktop
- More responsive project cards and additional projects on homepage
- Various other enhancements to the code and responsiveness
I would love some feedback before I put the effort in to port these changes over to the theme itself. Let me know what you think!