Hugo vs The General Data Protection regulations (GDPR) in EU (EEA)

I think that would be very helpful. As I say here, the target users for tools like blogdown are people who don’t know much about website technology, so it would be ideal if the generated website had basic GDPR compliance out of the box. The problem is that responsibility for implementing that looks like it would have to be spread over 2 or 3 layers of independent software.

My apologies but GDPR, while a valiant effort on the part of the EU, is a scab on the Web and, IMHO, represents an attack on individual freedom and liberty. As such I hope Hugo makes no further work of it.

I don’t think that political statements are appropriate here. It exists and is impacting the web globally. Even some US states are introducing similar laws. So we have to deal with it. It cannot be ignored.

1 Like

I understand how my opinion may come off as political. But I wasn’t intent on making a political statement. Personally I could care less about politics. What I do care about is the usability of the web (damaged due to cookie disclaimers) and making the Web private by design and not by regulation.

Fair enough. The point, though, is that it is here and we have to deal with it. Hugo is designed to be a “quick to market” tool as far as I can see and dealing with the complexities of privacy settings and compliance are important aspects of this. We might not like the ongoing attacks on what we’ve previously seen as a free Internet but we do have to deal with them.

This discussion has raised some important points and indicated some ways of dealing with them. As Hugo already contains some built-in features that impact privacy, it should at least do something.

BTW, happy to have a private discussion about GDPR and its benefits/dis-benefits. It isn’t one sided by any means.

2 Likes

Exactly. Otherwise, we’ll run out of storage on Discourse! :wink:

1 Like