How to Customise Tables

Hello.

I’m wondering if it’s possible to customise the table code generated by Hugo via CSS?

I’ve tried the path of going with shortcodes and while doing so, I’ve used .Inner but I couldn’t really achieve what I wanted and seems a bit like a hack.

Content:

{{< table >}}
| Disk 0 | Disk 1 | Disk 2 | Disk 3 |
|:------:|:------:|:------:|:-------:|
|   A1   |   A2   |   A3   | Ap(1-3) |
|   A4   |   A5   |   A6   | Ap(4-6) |
|   B1   |   B2   |   B3   | Bp(1-3) |
|   B4   |   B5   |   B6   | Bp(4-6) |
{{< table />}}

table.html:

<div class="table">
	  {{ .Inner }}
</div>

When I performed the above, the markdown table code was still present in the generated static web page and moreover, the above doesn’t give me granular control over the table.

Am I missing something or currently Hugo doesn’t support such a thing?

I don’t know what “granular control” means in this context, but you might try {{ .Inner | markdownify }}. More info at https://gohugo.io/functions/markdownify/.

If all you need is a class, you can add markup: mmark in frontmatter and use the following:

{.table}

Need a div around it?

<div class="table">

</div>

Should work.

Another option is to build your table from a data file.
For an example, see How to create tables more simpler without markdown

Sorry for the late reply, been busy.

With granular control over a table, I meant being able to style each and every table element: <table>, <tr>, <th>, etc. Is there a way to do so?

In order to solve the problem with my shortcode, I could do @maiki 's advise but I still don’t get granular control over the table.

@zwbetz raises a good point, however, I don’t want to store my tables in separate files when I can have them inline with the content in the first place. IMHO, it greatly messes my file/folder structure and reduces my efficiency as I have to move around different files when I could be working with just a single one.

Currently @brunoamaral 's solution of using mmark is a good temporary solution.

Since my theme makes use of Bootstrap CSS, initially, I want to make use of their table styling. Hence, as their documentation suggests, the below code should style a table with their styling:

<!-- Table -->
<table class="table">
</table>

That’s why I mentioned wrapping the table with the style table in my question. However, I made the mistake of wrapping it in a <div> instead of a <table>. Although, currently, when I wrap my tables in <table>s as I suggested above, the MD table inside doesn’t get rendered as @brunoamaral suggests. I’ve also tried wrapping them inside <div>s. Why is that?

Just curious, why is mmark temporary? I am using the code below and it render a nice stripped table in bootstrap:

{.table .table-striped}
|            PATREON PLEDGE            | 1€   | 5€   | 7€   |
|:------------------------------------ |:----:|:----:|:----:|
| Early Access to Articles             | ✓    | ✓    | ✓    |
| Hints for CryptoNovel Puzzles        | ✓    | ✓    | ✓    |
| Access to Patreon Feed               | ✓    | ✓    | ✓    |
| Small Listing On The Site As A Patron|      | ✓    | ✓    |
| Suggestions of New Content           |      | ✓    | ✓    |
| Request of a Research Article        |      |      | ✓    |
| Listed As A Full Sponsor             |      |      | ✓    |

Not a deal breaker but I don’t want to depend on mmark and have to add additional code to style my tables even though it’s just a small piece of code.

I want Hugo to be able to directly retrieve my custom styling. And if I want a different styling for a specific table, I want to define it as a Hugo shortcode since I find that’s more convenient.

Since you guys are using Bootstrap to style your tables, this shortcode should work. Write your table in markdown, then pass the desired classes as an arg.

Usage:

{{< table "table table-striped" >}}
| Animal  | Sounds |
|---------|--------|
| Cat     | Meow   |
| Dog     | Woof   |
| Cricket | Chirp  |
{{</ table >}}

Definition:

{{ $htmlTable := .Inner | markdownify }}
{{ $class := .Get 0 }}
{{ $old := "<table>" }}
{{ $new := printf "<table class=\"%s\">" $class }}
{{ $htmlTable := replace $htmlTable $old $new }}
{{ $htmlTable | safeHTML }}

Threw a little write-up on the blog too

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

@ju52 This would “double up” the <table> tags. So if I’m understanding you correctly, the output would be:

<table class="tabclass">
<table>
</table>
</table>

nope, Hugo does the trick
we get only one <table>

BUT

the inner part is NOT redered!
I delete this sample … to not confuse others!

Thanks for your effort @zwbetz , that’s great to have!

Although, I still want to be able to style the default rendering of Hugo generated HTML tables without any additional stuff but I’ll settle for now.