How do I get the nested section that a page is in?

• I have sections on my site, e.g. /content/cats/ and /content/dogs/.
  • I have nested sub-sections on my site, e.g. /content/cats/breeds/.
  • I have pages within those nested sub-sections, e.g. /content/cats/breeds/persian.md

In my template, I want to be able to look up the nested section for the current page. How do I do this? I can’t figure it out.

Both .Section and .CurrentSection seem to return the sections “cats” instead of the section “breeds”. The documentation does say that .Section returns the top-most section, so that’s expected, but it doesn’t say it for .CurrentSection. What am I supposed to use then?

Thanks.

What are you trying to do with such a check?

Are you trying to render the .Parent URL for a breadcrumbs navigation or is it for something else?

See https://gohugo.io/content-management/sections/#section-page-variables-and-methods

1 Like

Thanks for the link, but I’ve looked at that page already. As mentioned, .Section and .CurrentSection only return the top-most section, not the current nested section. .Type and .Parent also return the top-most section.

I want to do various things with this information. For example, building my navigation menu (looping over sections and sub-sections), displaying the name of the active sub-section on the page, look up front matter values for the nested section (e.g. params defined in /cats/breeds/_index.md), etc.

It doesn’t seem like there’s any way to get the current nested section from the page, which seems very odd to me. I thought Hugo had support for nested sections now?

Let me try to ask this another way.

/cats/breeds/_index.md defines some variables like:
weight = 2
title = "Cat Breeds"

When /cats/breeds/persian.md gets rendered by the template, I want to be able to look up the title of its current nested section (i.e. “Cat Breeds”) and display that somewhere on the page.

When building my site navigation menu, I want to be able to loop over sections (/cats/ and /dogs/, which I can already do easily enough), and then loop over sub-sections (e.g. /cats/breeds/, /cats/caring/, /cats/adoption/) in order as defined by their weight.

When building my site navigation menu, I also want to be able to check if the current page belongs to a given sub-section (in the loop) so that I can add extra CSS classes for the active sub-section.

Is it possible to do any of this in Hugo? I was under the impression that Hugo’s support for nested sections means that subfolders are treated like sections now, in the same way that top-level sections work. But it kind of seems like the “support” is just parsing subfolders for .md files and then lumping them all in the same top-level section. I’m hoping that I’m just misunderstanding something.

Ahh. Sorry for the triple post, but I think I’ve figured it out now.

.CurrentSection does return the nested section after all, as I expected it to.

The problem was that I hadn’t made the /cats/breeds/_index.md file yet, as I was trying to see if Hugo even properly supported this first before going to too much trouble.

It seems like having the _index.md file there in the subdirectory makes Hugo see it as a section, whereas not having it makes it see it as a meaningless subfolder? That’s my take on it at least. I feel like this really needs to be documented better, as I hadn’t seen anything describing this requirement and absolutely nothing made me think of it as something to try.

After creating the _index.md file, suddenly .CurrentSection returns the nested section as I wanted, instead of the top-level section. So this is resolved now. Thanks.

1 Like

Here is how I am currently getting things rendered only in nested sections and not main sections.
https://discourse.gohugo.io/t/list-pages-of-sub-sub-folders/9436/11?u=onedrawingperday

And here is how I am building a breadcrumbs navigation on a single page that renders the link to the parent nested section.

https://discourse.gohugo.io/t/implementing-breadcrumb-navigation-in-hugo/1048/42?u=onedrawingperday

Just make sure to replace .URL with .Permalink for the links in the above linked snippet.

I think that you will be able to get what you need done with the snippets in the links I posted.

Also you should be able to access the parameters you need from the nested section _index.md :wink:

1 Like