Go templates vs Ace vs Amber

Hello,

I’m about to start with concrete work with Hugo along with more serious learning of Go language itself.

Considering that my other usage of Go will (hopefully) be for writing desktop GUI app, it means that Hugo will be THE tool for our web needs, so I wonder which template engine you can recommend amongst the ones supported by Hugo?

Ideally, I’m looking for one which is not too complicated as well as powerful enough for small-medium web sites.

I’m also using Vim so editor support would be nice (iirc, there is vim-ace). Moreover, I’m also aware that Amber does not work at the moment…

Let me also say that I plan to use reStructuredText markup for my content since I find it much more appropriate as general documentation tool than just Markdown.

Any advice?

Amber works if you build Hugo from source.

The question you ask is a though one to answer. As you say you want to do “more Go stuff”, I would go with the Go templates. Go 1.6 will bring improvements in this area of reuse/inheritance of templates that you currently would need to do with Ace.

2 Likes

On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 18:17:41 +0000 bep discuss@gohugo.io wrote:

As you say you want to do “more Go stuff”, I would go with the Go
templates. Go 1.6 will bring improvements in this area of
reuse/inheritance of templates that you currently would need to do
with Ace.

Ohh, that’s nice to hear and sufficient for me to not look elsewhere.
Thanks a lot for being bearer of good news!!

Great to hear that. I use Django template a lot and I like to extends template and then use block on the child template. will the same feature be available on Go template 1.6. I have tried to search on Google about feature that will be available on 1.6 but I could not find it ^_^. Thanks

I went with HTML templates initially then switched to Ace and haven’t looked back.

I tried amber with another project and wasn’t thrilled, for the same reasons I always prefered slim over haml.

I was hoping to use ace for content as well but it’s not possible just yet.

I use Ace for one of my projects, too, and it is very nice when you get used to the indentation requirement … the base template support is, of course, the big winner.