Execute of template failed on Theme Install, tried methods in forum but did not work

what I did:
hugo new site emoxin
cd themes
git clone --recurse-submodules Abraham Raji / gruvhugo · GitLab

then I met errors:

WARN found no layout file for “html” for kind “home”: You should create a template file which matches Hugo Layouts Lookup Rules for this combination.
WARN found no layout file for “html” for kind “taxonomy”: You should create a template file which matches Hugo Layouts Lookup Rules for this combination.

so I duplicate everything in emoxin/themes/gruvhugo/layouts to emoxin/layouts, but have more errors:

ERROR render of “taxonomy” failed: “E:\github\emoxin.github.io\emoxin\emoxin\layouts_default\baseof.html:3:8”: execute of template failed: template: _default/list.html:3:8: executing “_default/list.html” at <partial “head.html” .>: error calling partial: “E:\github\emoxin.github.io\emoxin\emoxin\layouts\partials\head.html:44:51”: execute of template failed: template: partials/head.html:44:51: executing “partials/head.html” at : error calling toCSS: type not supported in Resource transformations
ERROR render of “404” failed: “E:\github\emoxin.github.io\emoxin\emoxin\layouts_default\baseof.html:3:8”: execute of template failed: template: 404.html:3:8: executing “404.html” at <partial “head.html” .>: error calling partial: “E:\github\emoxin.github.io\emoxin\emoxin\layouts\partials\head.html:44:51”: execute of template failed: template: partials/head.html:44:51: executing “partials/head.html” at : error calling toCSS: type not supported in Resource transformations
Total in 12 ms
Error: error building site: render: failed to render pages: render of “home” failed: “E:\github\emoxin.github.io\emoxin\emoxin\layouts_default\baseof.html:3:8”: execute of template failed: template: index.html:3:8: executing “index.html” at <partial “head.html” .>: error calling partial: “E:\github\emoxin.github.io\emoxin\emoxin\layouts\partials\head.html:44:51”: execute of template failed: template: partials/head.html:44:51: executing “partials/head.html” at : error calling toCSS: type not supported in Resource transformations

I also tried to copy everything from exampleSite to the root directory but also did not work.
this is my repository and I wonder how to use exampleSite correctly. THANKS!

You missed a step.

hugo new site emoxin
cd emoxin
git clone --recurse-submodules https://gitlab.com/avron/gruvhugo themes/gruvhugo
echo "theme = 'gruvhugo'" >> hugo.toml

Thanks! I tried your way, now the terminal has no warnings, but the preview image is weird, it has no contents. Is there anything wrong with this theme?

Well, it hasn’t been updated in a long time, so it’s going to throw some errors.

Regardless, each theme provides its own installation and configuration instructions. Read their docs:
https://gitlab.com/avron/gruvhugo/-/blob/master/README.md#configuration

I’ve read this but the readme file is so short and has little instructrions :rofl:
Maybe I have to change another one. Thank you!

It means copy the configuration settings from the config in the exampleSite directory.

Well it confuses me a lot. Every guide tolds me need to add theme=xxx in config.toml, but when I create a new site (the hugo version is latest), I only see the hugo.toml, not config.toml. config.toml always in this path: root/themes/XXtheme

Once I tried to copy every file in exampleSite into the root directory, but still did not work.

Now I copy config.toml to the root directoy(emoxin), but it said this instead:
Error: command error: Unable to locate config file or config directory. Perhaps you need to create a new site.

Quite confusing :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Maybe you should start with something basic and easy:

https://gohugo.io/getting-started/quick-start/

Thanks!