Escape shortcodes while using RenderString

Hi,

In the past it was possible to escape shortcode syntax e.g. in a code block like this:

This code was working without issues in Hugo < 0.100 while using .RenderString. With the current version of hugo this is no longer possible and result in the following error:

hugo v0.101.0-466fa43c16709b4483689930a4f9ac8add5c9f66 linux/amd64 BuildDate=2022-06-16T07:09:16Z VendorInfo=gohugoio
Error: Error building site: "hugo-geekdoc/exampleSite/content/en/shortcodes/katex.md:9:1": failed to render shortcode "columns": failed to process shortcode: "hugo-geekdoc/exampleSite/themes/hugo-geekdoc/layouts/shortcodes/columns.html:4:14": execute of template failed: template: shortcodes/columns.html:4:14: executing "shortcodes/columns.html" at <$.Page.RenderString>: error calling RenderString: "hugo-geekdoc/exampleSite/content/en/shortcodes/katex.md:4:1": failed to extract shortcode: template for shortcode "myshortcode" not found

The used columns shortcode is pretty simple:

According to my issue Escape shortcodes while using RenderString · Issue #10058 · gohugoio/hugo · GitHub this might be related to some kind of “double rendering” but I have no idea where double rendering should happen… Removing $.Page.RenderString from the shortcode will result in not rendered markdown at all. Any idea?

• In your case .Inner comes from a content file in /content which has already rendered any shortcode. So the string {{</* myshortcode */>}} is now rendered to {{< myshortcode >}}
  • And then, when you pass {{< myshortcode >}} to RenderString the comments are lost and Hugo will try to find the shortcode.

I don’t understand your site in detail, but I suspect you want to drop the RenderString in this case.

Well I want to render markdown in the {{< columns >}} shortcodes content. Removing RenderString results in completely unrendered markdown:

Try:

{{% columns %}}

{{% /columns %}}

The {{% delimiter tells Hugo that the .Inner content is markup/markdown.

This does not render the HTML within the range loop properly:

{{ range split .Inner "<--->" }}
    <div class="gdoc-columns__content gdoc-markdown--nested flex-even">
      {{ . }}
    </div>
  {{ end }}

This shortcode is intended to split the inner content of {{% columns %}} shortcode on the delimiter <---> and put the separated content in a div to display it as columns.

I can work around it by using a template:

<div class="gdoc-columns flex flex-wrap flex-mobile-column">
  {{ range split .Inner "<--->" }}
    {{ template "column" . }}
  {{ end }}
</div>

<!-- templates -->
{{- define "column" }}
  <div class="gdoc-columns__content gdoc-markdown--nested flex-even">
    {{ . | safeHTML }}
  </div>
{{- end }}

which produces the expected result:

No idea if this is the intended way, feels more complicated as it should be.

I don’t have a good answer for you on this one, it seems, so I have reopened the GitHub issue:

Thanks for reopening the issue, I’m also not sure yet how a fix could look like.

I wish I’d found this discussion, rather than opening another one.

Mea Culpa…

From my perspective over here in the cheap seats with relatively little understanding of the guts of things
(IOW CAVEAT EMPTOR)

it feels to me like there needs to be a mechanism to ask renderstring to render all of a section of content exactly once… which would involve a reordering of content processing depending on the specific site / theme / use case…

this could be a terrible red herring waste of time / a horrific idea as well… just trying to help/contribute… even if only by offering terrible ideas of what not to do :slight_smile:

hope your days are going awesomely.

W