Error on quick start

Hi, I’m a newbie and I have the latest version of Hugo 5.3 I’m following the HUGO quickstart tutorial, that is for beginners learning to use HUGO so I wouldn’t think there would be major problems!
See: https://gohugo.io/getting-started/quick-start/

I’ve downloaded, extracted hallo-hugo-master into the themes folder.

I’m getting the same error: ERROR 2019/01/07 19:40:05 error: failed to transform resource: TOCSS: failed to transform “scss/hallo.scss” (text/x-scss): this feature is not available in your current Hugo version

From reading the above comments, I have no idea what to do! There does not seem to be an easy answer.

My github repository is FodorTheMagnificent/ quickstart

The quick start instructions use the ananke theme, not hallo

Does the theme matter? I would think any theme should work with HUGO. Also I get the same problem with ananke. So its not the theme being the problem.

What OS are you using?
I just did the quick start on Windows 10 with Hugo 0.53 and it worked fine.

The theme matters because the theme could have a bug that spoils your “quick start” experience.

It’s recommended that new users follow the Quick Start guide as is with zero modifications, and see the site build successfully.

It’s then easy to switch to any other arbitrary theme. Any issues you see henceforth should be opened on that theme’s repo.

1 Like

16 posts were split to a new topic: Quick start makes Hugo seem dependent on git and GitHub

@FodorTheMagnificent, sorry this topic went off like that.

@zwbetz ran through the quick start, so please provide some more info, and we’ll see if we can get you up and running. :slight_smile: