Deploying to AWS, Bluehost, DigitalOcean etc. via Rsync

Combining Rsync and CircleCI makes it super easy to set up your own Continuous Deployment. DJ wrote up an article on how to implement Rsync into your CircleCI setup (and shows you how to set up CircleCI here).

Rsync makes it possible to automatically deploy your Hugo site to almost any host you can think of (including AWS, Bluehost and DigitalOcean). Check out the tutorial :point_down:

1 Like

I think it is important to underline the importance of using a checksum strategy when syncing static sites remotely. rsync has a --checksum flag, but I don’t see that mentioned in the article. The previous article in the series uses aws sync, which I also believe relies on timestamps to check for modfification.

https://github.com/bep/s3deploy may be an alternative:

1 Like

Eh, I’d rather just use Netlify.

Me, too. But there are cases where it would make sense to “build your own”. Money is one argument.

Author here! This is an excellent point and something I had overlooked entirely. Thank you so much for your insight! You are right about aws sync, it uses timestamps too.

We are going to update these two articles to reflect the checksum strategy you suggested and talk about why it’s important, especially for static sites.

1 Like