Curated newsfeed page

I am wondering if anyone has any experience creating a curated newsfeed page in hugo.

What I mean by this is that I want to have a single page that will contain a curated set of links to websites/content/pages that are external to my site.

As an example, let’s say I have a page for “Innovations in Fried Chicken”. And I want this page to house 7 links to posts made on other websites (not my own) talking about fried chicken. The links are all hand-selected by me (not RSS feeds) and are only meant to be manually updated.

But I want to present it in a prettier way than just a single page with:

1. Link 1
  2. Link 2
  3. Link 3
  4. Link 4
  5. Link 5
  6. Link 6
  7. Link 7

Perhaps make each of the links look like blog entries? Pulling the featured image from those pages and their page titles (sort of like how social media/chat programs pull previews)

Has anyone done this? Or are there any guides?

my 2c here

I use a JSON file to publush my favorite external links. Complete sample here.

The JSON is in assets/links
Templates are in themes/photon/layouts/link/single.html
Content to trigger generation is content/link/_index.md

HTH

1 Like

just to throw some ideas in the air to see what sticks:

1. I think a build script may be the only way to go in order for you to throw links at and let it get images and descriptions onto a json file like @ju52 suggested.
  2. Hugo doesn’t have a way to pull content from other websites at the moment. Maybe the new version 0.90 with the resources.GET allows you to pull the html and fetch the opengraph image tag ?
  3. i’d download any thumbnails to make sure it always builds nicely

How were you thinking about adding links to the list?

And now that I think of it this might be something useful for my blog as well :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

https://discourse.gohugo.io/t/grab-card-data-from-url/26807/2

1 Like

This really helped. Got it up and running, just need to make minor tweaks to the shortcode to have it look pretty with the theme I’m running. But I can take it over from here.

Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.