Concat sass not refreshing in Hugo Server

1. I am trying to work with sass in my project. I have several different sources and would like to Concat them as a single file. I noticed that hugo server does not reload when I make changes to any of these sass files. However when they are not concatenated it works as expected.

Command
hugo server --disableFastRender

Code snippet

{{ $aCSS := resources.Get “style/a.scss” | resources.ToCSS}}
{{ $bCSS := resources.Get “style/b.scss” | resources.ToCSS}}
{{ $cCSS := resources.Get “style/c.scss” | resources.ToCSS}}
{{ $mergedCSS := slice $aCSS $bCSS $cCSS | resources.Concat “css_bundle.css” | resources.Minify | resources.Fingerprint “sha256” }}

{{ $soloCSS := resources.Get “style/solo.scss” | resources.ToCSS}}

Repo demonstrating the problem

Info
MacOS Catalina 10.15.4 (19E287)
hugo version
Hugo Static Site Generator v0.69.2/extended darwin/amd64 BuildDate: unknown

1. I expected changes in any sass file to be reflected in browser immediately.

2. Sass files which are concatenated do not work. However those that are used individually do work.

Maybe you can try with --disableFastRender ?

Yes, I tried with that command. The sass files that grouped together don’t refresh (a.scss, b.scss, c.scss). However changes to solo.scss does refresh the browser.

I’m sure you’ve tried ctrl + F5 (refresh) in browser? Does a manual refresh work? Or is Hugo seemingly not updating concatenated files?

Try to put the source files below /scss or /sass … Yes I understand that this is a little limited/hidden/surprising – but I implemented cache invalidation using prefixes …

@bep thanks for the suggestion! I tried changing the dir name to scss. However updates to /assets/scss/{a,b,c}.scss are still not automatically shown in browser (/assets/scss/solo.scss works). I am not sure if you meant /scss at the root of the project dir. I tried this also with /scss/top.scss but I get an error when trying to use {{ $topCSS := resources.Get “scss/top.scss” | resources.ToCSS}}

I’ve updated my sample repo to show what I’ve tried.

Is this the way you suggested to structure the scss source files or am I missing something?