Architectural Overview of Hugo: Components, Connections and Interfaces

Hi,
I have stumbled upon a similar question from some years ago, but I thought perhaps it is better to open up a new topic.

As mentioned in that post, the HugoDocs offer very little information on how the sourcecode is organized and how different components interact with eachother. This makes it a lot harder for new contributors to get started.

So my first question is, is there any information or resource given on the Hugo architecture? Reading through the sourcecode alone is extremely time-consuming, having a higher-level overview of Hugo components, connectors, etc. would reduce the amount of time new contributors would have to spend familiarizing themselves with the Hugo sourcecode.

Secondly, I would like to ask whether any experienced Hugo contributor would like to take some time to create such an overview if it does not exist already. I believe it would be more than worth the time investment as it would draw in many more potential contributors.

5 Likes

Do you know of any projects that have such a higher-level overview? As in stand-out examples. Iā€™d love to see how they are organized. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think Gatsby does a good job.

• How To Guides (detailed use cases)
  • Reference (all tags/commands)
  • Conceptual Guides (how things work)

They on the other side have big paid teams behind them. But in general, this kind of structure will help beginners to find what they want (how-to) and more advanced users a way to find the details.

4 Likes

Another project which offers an architectural overview is XWiki. They offer the architecture overview here.

1 Like