What will 2021 bring for Hugo?

I was thinking this afternoon about Hugo and the (relatively) new year ahead. Since we get a bunch of new features every year we’re kind of spoiled. :slightly_smiling_face:

But still I wonder, what will 2021 bring for Hugo? What kind of new features might be added to this already awesome static site generator?

(Note: I’m aware of the roadmap on GitHub, but that’s only for the next upcoming release so 1-2 months in advance and sometimes even less.)

1 Like
  • It will receive a perfectly structured and searchable documentation site.
  • It will become faster.
  • It will stay awesome.
6 Likes

Can’t find, URL please. Thanks.

There is no published roadmap.

There are milestones set in the Hugo main repo.
The current one is over here: v0.81 Milestone · GitHub

However these tend to change and usually only a few of the issues are closed when a release is made.
Then some issues are moved to the next milestone and some issues may be dropped.

Like for example the Pages from Data issue was dropped after the v0.76.0 milestone and is no longer in the current one.

Not sure what 2021 will bring for Hugo.

The 2020 releases for the most part were not relevant to my workflow as I do not work with the npm, node stack.

I did care for Pages from Data however, but since it seems unlikely that it will be addressed soon, I get by with third party scripts.

2 Likes

My very subjective observation is that many developers come (back) to Hugo – for a good reason:

I settled on Hugo coming from Middleman because I disliked handling all of Middleman’s Ruby dependencies. The situation with all the JavaScript SSGs is not any better because you need to install thousands or tens of thousands of files (for each project!) which all depend on each other – in one way or another.

Apart from Hugo’s speed and its amazing functionalities the biggest plus is that everything is packed in a single binary.

So for 2021 I could image to promote this more:

The world’s fastest framework for building websites—packed in a single file.

Escape the dependency hell.

or a better, less pushy slogan.

@bwintx wrote an interesting article on this topic. I hope it’s ok to mention it here, Bryce.

2 Likes

Yupp, I am waiting for this, too :wink:

3 Likes

@Grob Absolutely — although I suspect forum long-timers are tired of me and my meanderings in and out of the Hugo-verse. :slight_smile: And I can’t say I blame them.

1 Like

Forum longtimer here, but I agree with your article 100%.

Already knew about npm dependency hell since 2016 and I’ve decided that this workflow does not suit me.

2 Likes

@alexandros Guess I had to learn the hard way. Thanks. (And you chose a different article than I did to note the left-pad SNAFU, but your choice was a better read.)

Pages from Data

+1, ME TOO

For my use cases, I hope 2021 will come with:

Other nice features would be:

Note that both pdf outputs and bibtex conversion could be handled with better pandoc integration.

2 Likes

That’s good news! That probably can help with the adoption of Hugo. :slightly_smiling_face:

No other features for 2021 mentioned in this thread, which is okay because then the surprise is bigger when they land. :gift:

I share your opinion on Hugo’s strengths. But using that for marketing is misleading.

• Hugo modules require installing Go.
  • Hugo pipes require installing Babel, PostCSS, and their dependencies. Which also requires npm. And node.js I believe?

I agree that you can do very much with Hugo’s single binary. But we shouldn’t tell newcomers everything is included in the single binary.

Yes, this is a valid argument.

For me the slogan should have been

Learn Go - the hard and confusing way

Hugo is great and I know that Go is one of the main reasons for that. But I should have leared about Go´s philosophy first before debugging Hugo.

1 Like