What is "the best" default style for title case?

See https://github.com/gohugoio/hugo/pull/3753

I know that PR is geared mostly towards the English language, but it is better than what we have today.

I have put AP style titles as the default, as that makes most sense to me … but I will throw it out there to see if there are people with strong arguments for Chicago style.

somewhere over the rainbow ->

Current Hugo:
Somewhere Over The Rainbow
Chicago:
Somewhere over the Rainbow
AP:
Somewhere Over the Rainbow
1 Like

AP is good for me, and I think lends itself better to blog posts, news articles etc from what I have read. I actually use AP myself via Lingofy & AP subscription.

• The Chicago Manual of style is the guide for authors, editors and publishers of books, periodicals and journals.
  • The AP Stylebook is the prime reference for those in the news and public relations fields.

Source

2 Likes

AP is the best way to do that.

4 Likes
  • AP has greater reach
  • CMS is a better style guide overall :smile:

And you are from … Chicago? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, haha. And did some graduate study at the UofC, but CMS is more expansive and detailed, especially in terms of preferred usage, IMHO.

AP has greater reach by default because it’s used by newspapers and other periodicals that just create more content.

If you want my personal favorite, we could use AMA10 or CSE, but I would be the only Hugo user on the planet using it…

1 Like