Tufte-like sidenotes Hugo theme

Seanny, I see you’re familiar with RMarkdown, I’m curious if you’re aware of the tufte R package for use with R Markdown. It lets one author a post (or whatever) with side-notes and margin figures, etc., like Tufte does. It’s a wonderful package. However, I found it frustrating tying to use it within an existing Hugo theme. The existing or “parent” Hugo theme always takes over and over-rides the tufte::tufte_html: default specification that I set as my yaml output:

If you know of a solution to make a Hugo theme obey a different yaml output specification such as the above, please share.

Otherwise, one way to put side-notes on nearly any Hugo page is to specify the following just after the yaml section:

<style type="text/css"> .sidenote, .marginnote { float: right; clear: right; margin-right: -60%; margin-left: 0%; width: 50%; margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0; font-size: 1.0rem; line-height: 1.3; vertical-align: baseline; position: relative; } </style>

Henceforth, entering text such as, ^[This is a sidenote that was entered using a footnote.] in one’s markdown or Rmarkdown document then renders as a side-note.