Thanks a Lot for Making Hugo Docs Better

I think there are more nuances between .png and .jpg files besides that PNG allows for transparency.

But regardless of that, I don’t think this even matters if you apply image optimisation (which we agree on should always be done).

Take for instance the Icarus screenshot. That PNG is 845Kb big. If I save it to a JPG, it becomes 495Kb. So a win for JPG?

Not that quickly :slight_smile:, let’s look at the optimisation results with Kraken:

Now the optimised file sizes become 173kb versus 179kb. So that’s no real difference to speak of.

Since requiring every theme author to change the images from PNG to JPG is slow process (waiting on everyone), it’s probably just easier to optimise all the PNG files and up with practically the same file size.

The cause has been known. The work has not been done. I started a job to rewrite the build scripts to Go some time ago, so we could more simply do image scaling etc. But other work got in the way.

That because You only change the extension from the same source. For photography (if no need to display transparency), I will choose a jpg file. :wink:

For clarification and technical accuracy, here is a “real” comparison between the two image types:

PNG -403kb :point_up:

JPG – 65kb (60% quality) :point_up:

If the terms are replaced immediately, it will have a real effect on future updates. New theme creators or new themes submitted will meet the requirements. BTW, Goodluck @bep.

No I did not; I opened the png file in my photo editing software and saved it as jpg with 100% quality.

The screenshot example is not the right one for this discussion. The theme screenshots have a lot of text. Jpeg screenshots will show a lot of aliasing and blurriness in the text, whereas PNG won’t.

Have a look at this quick comparison: https://www.labnol.org/software/tutorials/jpeg-vs-png-image-quality-or-bandwidth/5385/