Taxonomy terms do not render when sorted by weight

Hi everyone,

First I am fairly new to hugo and really did try my best to search the doc and the forums. I apologies in advance if this is an easy fix or not really worth anyone’s time here.

What I am trying to do:
Sort the terms of the month taxonomy in a specific order (by default it is coming out in alphabetical order).

What I have done so far
Here is what my partial looks like:

<div class="months">
    <div class="container">
        {{ $pageUrl := .URL }}
        {{range $name, $taxonomy := .Site.Taxonomies.month.ByWeight}}
            {{ if in $pageUrl $name }}
                <a class="month-link month-is-active" href="/month/{{$name}}">{{$name}}</a>
            {{else}}
                <a class="month-link" href="/month/{{$name}}">{{$name}}</a>
            {{end}}
        {{end}}
    </div>
</div>

Here’s what the front matter looks like for two different entry:

month:
    - December
month_weight: 2

month:
   - November
month_weight: 1

For some reason nothing renders and I have no error. This was my partial before using weight:

<div class="months">
    <div class="container">
        {{ $pageUrl := .URL }}
        {{range $name, $taxonomy := .Site.Taxonomies.month}}
            {{ if in $pageUrl $name }}
                <a class="month-link month-is-active" href="/month/{{$name}}">{{$name}}</a>
            {{else}}
                <a class="month-link" href="/month/{{$name}}">{{$name}}</a>
            {{end}}
        {{end}}
    </div>
</div>

This output the two different month but sort them in alphabetical order as mentioned above.

I think all you need to do is go back to your original partial and just add .ByWeight to the range statement.

{{range $name, $taxonomy := .Site.Taxonomies.month.ByWeight}}

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my issue!

Sorry I forgot to mention how I got to use the former example rather than just adding .ByWeight to my original code.
Both {{range $name, $taxonomy := .Site.Taxonomies.month.ByWeight}} and {{range .Site.Taxonomies.month.ByWeight}} prints nothing while returning no error.

EDIT: Changed my post to use the former snippet of code with .ByWeight added

If you follow the advice at Requesting Help and share your site code, you’ll have more people helping. If you can’t share your project, start a new, smaller project that reproduces the issue and share that. :slight_smile: