Home Template - Changes to index.html not reflecting

I have recently upgraded my Hugo instance from 0.25.1 to 0.42.2. However since the update, my homepage has been completely broken. I realise it might be due to some changes around page bundles introduced around 0.30. Now, it seems I just can fix the homepage. Whatever changes I make to index.html are not reflecting. It keeps rendering the old (broken) template.

Since last 2 days, I am stuck, unable to wrap my head around what I am missing. As mentioned in doc, I have an _index.md file in \content\ and index.html in \themes\<MYTHEME>\layouts\. I would really appreciate any point.

Do you happen to have source to share @am1t?

Have you checked the layouts folder of your site (not the one inside the theme). Maybe that is over-riding the changes you are making to the theme.

This has happened to me several times.

Thank you for your responses @rdwatters and @parsiya. The structure of the project is regular -

\archetypes
\content
        \post
        \journal
        _index.md
\static
\themes
       \layout
            index.html
config.toml

And the contents of both the _index.md and index.html are again for now simple.

_index.md

---
title: ''
slug: 'test'
---

index.html

{{ partial "header.html" . }}
<div id="post-index" class="container" itemscope="" itemtype="https://schema.org/Blog">
    {{ partial "intro.html" . }}

<ol class="post-list">
        {{ $pag := where .Data.Pages "Type" "post" }}
        {{ range (shuffle $pag | first 5) }}
            {{ partial "post-stub.html" . }}
        {{ end }}
    </ol>
</div>
{{ partial "footer.html" . }}

Any changes to this index.html file aren’t reflecting and for some reason the post type check too isn’t working out. Surprisingly all was fine before update. So I am not sure what I am missing here. I would appreciate any pointer.

Sorry for piling on questions after questions @am1t. The index.html you’re referring to is in the following source organization, correct?

/themes/<your-theme-name>/layouts/index.html

And:

1. You do not have a file at layouts/index.html
  2. You correctly have your theme set in your config.* file?

Now, when developing locally and going to localhost:1313/test you’re not seeing the changes reflected? Why is the slug on your homepage set?

No, there is no \layouts\index.html. Theme is correctly configured in config.toml. Changes to other sections (like partials etc) are getting reflected.

Even on my local dev env, changes are reflected (I have tried both --renderToDisk and --disableFastRender flags). Slug was just something I was trying out, I have tested without that too, no success.

I have identified the issue, there was a conflict between index.html and list.html in \layout\page. I suspect this must have been affected in v3.1 when the concept of page bundles was introduced. I still do not understand it fully. But for now my problem is resolved by removing the \layout\page\list.html file.

Thank you all for taking time to help.