RSS layout template failure

Deploying a new site to Netlify, I consistently get this error:

3:13:33 PM: $ hugo
3:13:34 PM: Building sites … ERROR 2020/07/15 22:13:34 render of "Categories" failed: "/opt/build/repo/themes/etch/layouts/_default/rss.xml:9:19": execute of template failed: template: _default/rss.xml:9:19: executing "_default/rss.xml" at <.Site.Config.Service...>: can't evaluate field RSS in type services.Config
ERROR 2020/07/15 22:13:34 render of "Tags" failed: "/opt/build/repo/themes/etch/layouts/_default/rss.xml:9:19": execute of template failed: template: _default/rss.xml:9:19: executing "_default/rss.xml" at <.Site.Config.Service...>: can't evaluate field RSS in type services.Config
Total in 11 ms
3:13:34 PM: Error: Error building site: failed to render pages: render of "Travis Parker" failed: "/opt/build/repo/themes/etch/layouts/_default/rss.xml:9:19": execute of template failed: template: _default/rss.xml:9:19: executing "_default/rss.xml" at <.Site.Config.Service...>: can't evaluate field RSS in type services.Config

My theme has a layouts/_default/rss.xml template which looks like it’s just very slightly tweaked from the default one (the line linked in the failure isn’t changed from the default though). I can’t replicate this failure locally, it only occurs on netlify. I can work around it by forking the theme and removing that template, but I’d prefer to get the original working. What is going on in that error?

It seems your template expects something in your configuration.

template: _default/rss.xml:9:19: executing "_default/rss.xml" at <.Site.Config.Service...>: can't evaluate field RSS in type services.Config

What is your themes README saying about rss configuration? Maybe post your repo (or parts of it) to evaluate this.

It doesn’t say anything about RSS configuration.

The error message says that it can’t get the RSS field from this line in the template. What makes that confusing for me is that line is exactly the same as in the default rss template included with hugo.

My repo is here (on master I’ve switched to a fork of the theme without that template, so linking here to a branch that switches back to the original).

Hi, I created Etch. I followed the instructions at https://gohugo.io/hosting-and-deployment/hosting-on-netlify/ and was able to successfully deploy on Netlify. It looks like you don’t have a netlify.toml in your repo, you may need that to get it working correctly.