Quire: A New Publishing Tool

An old colleague from my STM publishing days recently sent me this project, which is built on top of Hugo. Not sure if you’ve already heard about this @bep, but I thought you’d like to see how this amazing tool is being used by scholarly publications to output multiple formats:

And the GH repo:

Awesome

5 Likes

Holy crap. This looks like an absolute godsend.

1 Like

Sucks that it’s Mac only right now. I’m not going to spend $2600 on an anorexic laptop that’s been stripped of all its useful ports and which features a Hello Kitty candy dot UI. I hate dealing with Mac windowing system and the waste of screen space.

Relatedly, I just learned about Leanpub’s Markua publishing system. Like Quire, it’s designed for writing books. It’s based on Markdown, and I’m not sure if there’s a client app involved like Quire. It might be purely web-based.

I’m guessing, but I think that with Windows Linux Subsystem you can run it just fine.

1 Like

You might be right. Though they don’t mention Linux, just Mac and Windows. Do new BSD/Mac command line apps normally run on Linux? I’ll try and see what I can do.

What are you smoking? You can Arch Linux this platform if you want to. Did you RTFM? :smiley:

I took a quick look at Quire and don’t see any clear advantages over something like GitBook.

My first time user experience was I pulled down the demo, opened it up, tried to figure out how to embed an MP4, realized I couldn’t then closed it and deleted the repo. The demo also uses a pretty poor image viewer IMHO they should’ve gone with something like PhotoSwipe. Nevertheless thanks for sharing @rdwatters.

1 Like

You lost me. What do you mean that I “can Arch Linux this platform”? Are you talking about slapping Arch Linux into the WSL? It’s not one of the distros officially available from the Microsoft Store – I’m using Ubuntu 18.04 with WSL, and I don’t have time to mess around with unofficial WSL installs.

Which manual are you referring to (that I didn’t read)? Quire? Arch Linux? I’ve read the latter but not the former (I really like Arch Linux). Did the Quire people say something about Arch? It’s my favorite distro, but I’d have to VM it with VirtualBox, which annoys me, or Hyper-V, which I hear good things about but have never used.

Since you’re saying you don’t like Quire anyway, I’m not sure what the point of all this is. (If I decided that you were right that Quire has no advantage over GitBook (which sucks).)

My broader question remains. I’m just curious: If you build a command line app for macOS, is it likely to run on Linux without modification? I assume it would run on FreeBSD given its lineage, but I’m not certain about that either. I thought maybe I’d mess around with Hyper-V, install FreeBSD, and run Quire that way. My favorite Unix-like OSes are FreeBSD, Arch Linux, Alpine, CoreOS/Container Linux, and Fedora Server (none of which are officially available for WSL right now).