Irritating "unrecognized character" when nothing of the sort is visible

artifact. I’m not seeing any or if that’s what you mean. Or am I mistaken ? I certainly wouldn’t introduce them willfully.
Ok, I replaced my context declaration by yours, which I prefer anyway. But it seems its main merit (because mine worked for @jmooring) was to make the error message clearer:

Error: error building site: render: failed to render pages: render of "page" failed: "/home/drm/WEBSITE/layouts/_default/baseof.html:10:40": execute of template failed: template: 
_default/single.html:10:40: executing "menu-block" at <partial "docs/menu" .>: error calling partial:
"/home/drm/WEBSITE/layouts/partials/docs/menu.html:49:23": execute of template failed: template: 
partials/docs/menu.html:49:23: executing "menu-filetree" at <where .Site.RegularPages "Section" "docs">:
error calling where: can't iterate over <nil>

So even though the pages within the sections are published all right… the sections aren’t counted among .Site.RegularPages "Section" "docs"

(btw this unrecognized character issue is no longer relevant, eventhough we still dunno what caused it. can we fused the last posts with Template code can't iterate the filetree as before - #14 by jmooring ?)