Include subsection contents in main section

Say that I have a set of mostly-alike pages divided into subsections. All the pages have the same type, but individual items can be categorized differently, hence dropping them into subsections:

something like that. I can get the site to generate with the sub-pages put together, paginating etc correctly … except the books page is empty. I’d like to be able to either: list all books from all subsections, or, filter the list to things with featured: true in the frontmatter, and I can’t quite figure out how to go about doing that.

It seems like there’s only one list.html allowed for the overall type, and attempting to override the $paginator inside an _index.md just results in the line being echoed on page. Anyone have any ideas on this?

1. Create a layout at layouts/books/list.html.
  2. To add content or front matter to your rendered page, you’ll need to create a content file at content/books/_index.md.
  3. You can use .Data.Pages, which will automatically pull from all the pages in that section.
  4. Use the where keyword to filter…
{{range where .Data.Pages ".Params.featured" true}}
{{ end }}

If not, try "Params.featured"…sorry, can’t test right now…

You can customize your list.html as you want per section with something like:

{{ if eq .Section "non-fiction" }}
{{ end }}

Check out the official demo of Hugo nested sections: http://hugotest.bep.is/

I haven’t experimented with nested sections yet, but in Hugo /section/ is an alias of type.

So to render all posts in a main section (including the ones in nested sections) do this:

{{ range $i, $e := (where .Site.Pages “Type” “non-fiction”) }}

{{ end }}