Hugo update baseUrl per environment

I’ve a website to generate content according to the different type of users as below. I simply have an environment variable in my dockerfile as below and I run hugo according to the user type.

But what confuse me we have stage and production environment, thus ı need to update the baseUrl in config.yaml for all of them. What is the best approach of doing this ?

I might update it via sed but never tried cause I believe there might be a good way of doing this. Any help will be appreciated.

baseURL = “https://int-foo-example.com/” → stage
baseURL = “https://foo-example.com/” → production

RUN hugo -e ${AUDIENCE} --minify

Here is the tree structure.

├── config/
│   ├── _default
│   │   └── config.yaml
│   ├── dealers
│       ├── config.yaml
│   │   └── params.yaml
│   └── employees
│       ├── config.yaml
│       └── params.yaml
├── content

You can set the baseURL and the config directly from the CLI according to the environment.

See hugo CLI, also if you are using a CI/CD service like Netlify you can Configure with Enviroment Variables

his post can help you.

Hi,

I need to manage all this in dockerfile… Cant I do something as below… I tried but it did not work…

I tried to run below command and received below error.

Step 15/23 : RUN hugo -e ${AUDIENCE} --config ./config/config-${ENVIRONMENT}.toml --minify

Start building sites … 
ERROR 2021/02/08 06:40:41 [en] REF_NOT_FOUND: Ref "faq": "/src/hugo/content/en/docs/basic-use-cases/apiusage/_index.md:67:66": page reference "/en/docs/basic-use-cases/apiusage/faq" is ambiguous
Total in 2953 ms
e[91mError: Error building site: "/src/hugo/content/en/docs/introduction/demo/_index.md:23:1": failed to render shortcode "attachments": failed to process shortcode: "/src/hugo/layouts/shortcodes/attachments.html:9:11": execute of template failed: template: shortcodes/attachments.html:9:11: executing "shortcodes/attachments.html" at <readDir (printf "./content/en/%s%s" .Page.File.Dir ($.Scratch.Get "filesName"))>: error calling readDir: failed to read directory "./content/en/en/docs/introduction/demo/files": open /src/hugo/content/en/en/docs/introduction/demo/files: no such file or directory
e[0mThe command '/bin/sh -c hugo -e ${AUDIENCE} --config ./config/config-${ENVIRONMENT}.toml --minify' returned a non-zero code: 255

├── config/
│   ├── _default
│   │   └── **config-stage.yaml**
│   │   └── **config-prod.yaml**
│   ├── dealers
│   │   └── params.yaml
│   └── employees
│       └── params.yaml
├── content

I haven’t seen this error in a long time.

How are you calling .GetPage in your template?