Help with 'public' directory

I have two sites that are going to be operating together, please see my previous threads for more info. The two sites are called main and section2

main
section2
public

Main and section 2 have each there own config file. In section2 config file, I have told to serve the public folder for section2 as follows:

public/
public/section2

This is working correctly.

However the public folder for the main site is not working correctly. It serves the public folder in:

main/
main/public

I dont want it to serve in its own subdirectory, I want it to serve in the public folder along with public/section2. I have tried to be more specific in the main config file but nothing seems to work.

How do I do this??

What has also added to my confusion, is that I deleted the main/public folder, and the site at localhost:1313 is still working, I’m not sure why this is or how it is possible.

Also I am open to the fact that putting everything in public folder may be a misunderstanding, but thats my current understanding of what I should do

I suggest you read the documentation carefully. It should be all in there.

I have read it. WIth regards to configuration it simply says that the site will be served in:

publishdir = “public”

Im trying to work out how to put it into the same folder as section2 that is in the same level as its parent folder, instead of being a subdirectory

i.e.

(root)/public/(here)

instead of

(root)/main/public/(here)

I tried to change the main config to:

publishdir = “(root)/public”

but this didnt work.

I’m using zsh functions to deploy, and am just specifying the output directory with -d when I do that. See:

When I use the local Hugo server for test, as you can see in the above plugin’s “hugoserver” functions, I’m relying on publishdir like so:

I’ve got a trailing slash in there, so you might want to experiment with that. I don’t remember specifically why I put that, but there might have been a reason. Paths are pesky.

( Also, I’m sure you’re just including the (root) in your path as an illustration, but just in case you’re including that literally, insert the actual path. )