Cannot access Hugo website

Hello,
I’ve just installed Hugo 0.31.1 with Snap on Linux Mint 18, created a site with a theme and a content.
When I type hugo server -D it says that the site is well built.
But, when I type http://localhost:1313 in the browser, it can’t access it.
Where can be the problem ? Thanks in advance.
Sincerely.

No errors? Do you have an index file?

when I create the site, the result is as follows :
dell@dell-Latitude-E6400 ~/hugo/bille $ hugo server -D
Started building sites …

Built site for language en:
1 of 1 draft rendered
0 future content
0 expired content
1 regular pages created
8 other pages created
0 non-page files copied
1 paginator pages created
0 tags created
0 categories created
total in 10 ms
Watching for changes in /home/dell/hugo/bille/{data,content,layouts,themes,static}
Serving pages from memory
Running in Fast Render Mode. For full rebuilds on change: hugo server --disableFastRender
Web Server is available at http://localhost:1313/ (bind address 127.0.0.1)
Press Ctrl+C to stop

Where can I find the index file ?

In your public folder you should have a generated index file. If not it makes sense that localhost:1313 shows nothing.

There’s no public folder and no index file … There’s something I don’t understand …
what can I do ?

@Troubadour, if you are running the server, it won’t generate the site in a folder. If you just run hugo by itself, it will however. That is one way to test if your site is building as expected.

Please review requesting help, and share the source of your site. If we can’t see your config, your theme and your content, we can’t figure out why it isn’t loading. :slight_smile:

1 Like

hello Maiki,
I’ve had a look inside the site folder. There’s almost nothing, only my theme, my first post and config.toml…
You say that running the server will not generate the site in a folder. How can I generate this ?
Thanks in advance.

From your site’s folder, run hugo, by itself. That is what generates the site. Using hugo server starts a webserver to show changes to the site.

There is a chance that something is blocking the webserver, so you ought to see if the site generates as normal, just use hugo.

Optionally, use hugo -v, that will create verbose feedback, which you can use to figure out your issue.

so, I typed hugo and it generated the public folder and the index !
But, I still cannot access it by the browser … I copy the result of hugo -v :
dell@dell-Latitude-E6400 ~/hugo/bille $ hugo -v
INFO 2017/12/15 08:55:16 Using config file: /home/dell/hugo/bille/config.toml
INFO 2017/12/15 08:55:16 syncing static files to /home/dell/hugo/bille/public/
WARN 2017/12/15 08:55:16 No translation bundle found for default language "en"
WARN 2017/12/15 08:55:16 Translation func for language en not found, use default.
WARN 2017/12/15 08:55:16 i18n not initialized, check that you have language file (in i18n) that matches the site language or the default language.
Started building sites …
INFO 2017/12/15 08:55:16 found taxonomies: map[string]string{“category”:“categories”, “tag”:“tags”}
INFO 2017/12/15 08:55:16 Alias “/posts/page/1/index.html” translated to “posts/page/1/index.html”

Built site for language en:
0 draft content
0 future content
0 expired content
1 regular pages created
8 other pages created
0 non-page files copied
1 paginator pages created
0 categories created
0 tags created
total in 19 ms

What does “can’t access it” mean? Is it a white screen? An error message? What exactly is happening?

There’s a white screen and it says, site is not accessible …
It’s the same with Chromium, Firefox and Midori. It looks that something is blocking the webserver.

Yeah, you should probably ask around Linux Mint support places, they’ll be able to help better. :slight_smile:

ok, I’ll do and I’ll make you a feedback. Thanks.